Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Safety Switch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:44 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

It's the left-side switch pack that needs replacing.

Since this is a "short term" ongoing problem (ONLY five model-years at this point) ya can't expect the Almighty MoCo to have gotten around to addressing it yet. They're WAY too busy coming out with bunches of new whiz-bang gizmos to bolt onto these bikes and crankin' out good ol' MoCo propaganda promoting them to worry about past googaws that either don't work or don't last.

Give 'em another ten-fifteen years or so and they'll be gettin' right on it. Their "engineers" might even figure out a way to make 'em waterproof, too, while they're at it - but then again, that's expecting a lot!

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-19-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:30 AM
buelldude
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default ???

I think that they left some chicken bones on my bike, it hasn't done it the past few days?????

I did have the parts people show me the lighted ones that can be put on for just $30 more and it does both sides.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:17 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FurryOne
I had the "no start in gear" problem on my Breakout until I realized that I'd covered the clutch lever with leather, and it was stopping it from hitting the switch plunger. Removed the leather and it still was iffy, so I glued a thin piece of metal to the edge that contacts the switch plunger, and now it works great. I think the problem most people have is that the switch contacts "relax" a bit and the lever doesn't push enough to make contact.
I agree. I've had the problem on my 17' CVO (lighted switches), when I bought it used from a guy. I thought it was what they did to the 17' model year bikes at first. I then changed the handlebars out and it worked perfectly every time. Unfortunately I had to pull the handlebars back off to put a new TBW sensor on. Once put together it's doing the same thing again. I was thinking about gluing something on like you did, because I bet that's all it is. Unless I can find the sweet spot for the plunger to work good again lol.

Old 09-21-2017, 06:56 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by buelldude
I think that they left some chicken bones on my bike, it hasn't done it the past few days?????

I did have the parts people show me the lighted ones that can be put on for just $30 more and it does both sides.
I've seen threads that say that the lighted ones may be more waterproof and durable than the OEM's. Don't know if it's true or not.

I put lighted ones on my '15 Limited - 'cause they look cool (at night)!

Old 09-21-2017, 07:28 AM
rkc915
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

After reading this thread, I checked my '17 FLHTK out before heading home after work yesterday. I pulled in the clutch and it doesn't start in gear. When I got home I tried again and still no start. I looked at the switch pack and did not see a plunger switch for the clutch to make contact with. The housing is completely sealed on the back side. So is this an option for the bike so it was not installed at the factory or is it an electronic switch that senses when the clutch is engaged so no physical switch is necessary?

Old 09-21-2017, 07:39 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by rkc915
After reading this thread, I checked my '17 FLHTK out before heading home after work yesterday. I pulled in the clutch and it doesn't start in gear. When I got home I tried again and still no start. I looked at the switch pack and did not see a plunger switch for the clutch to make contact with. The housing is completely sealed on the back side. So is this an option for the bike so it was not installed at the factory or is it an electronic switch that senses when the clutch is engaged so no physical switch is necessary?
Maybe they changed it to some kind of sealed magnetic switch. If the MoCo DID change the design, it sounds like they ended up just pissin' in the wind for all the good it did - as usual.

Does your cruise control still work right and does it disengage when you pull the clutch?

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-21-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:13 AM
rkc915
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Maybe they changed it to some kind of sealed magnetic switch. If the MoCo DID change the design, it sounds like they ended up just pissin' in the wind for all the good it did - as usual.

Does your cruise control still work right and does it disengage when you pull the clutch?
Yep, everything else functions normally.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Jmccathern
Novice

Mine has been acting up since new. Took it to the dealer twice. The first time they blamed it on the fact that I had replaced the bars and charged me an hours labor to solder something. ??? Got it home failed again. Took it in a second time and they said they adjusted it. There is no adjustment I know of. I just keep getting the run around. I'm not sure why they are so reluctant to replace the switch. Closest dealer is a two hour drive. I've just been living with it.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:34 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Here's the Safety Switch embedded in the left Switch Pack (from a '17 FLHXS). On my '13 Breakout the switch was a separate item mounted in the frame for the clutch lever.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch Safety Switch Problems-switch.jpg  

Last edited by FurryOne; 09-21-2017 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:59 AM
buelldude
Cruiser

So I took mine in and the dealer said they couldn't get the issue to recur and here is the funny part (knock on wood) it hasn't done it since (not start) in gear.

Quick Reply: Clutch Safety Switch Problems