Sponsored by:

Are the Softails sumping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts
Default Are the Softails sumping?

Just wondering, I'm not seeing a lot of bitching about the Softail line sumping. All the posts I've taken the time to read into it's a touring bike of some fashion, most being CVO's.

I ask because i'm really leaning towards a Low Rider or Street Bob.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:48 PM
mjwebb
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,518 Likes on 4,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Just wondering, I'm not seeing a lot of bitching about the Softail line sumping. All the posts I've taken the time to read into it's a touring bike of some fashion, most being CVO's.

I ask because i'm really leaning towards a Low Rider or Street Bob.

if you really want one just go buy one, ride it, enjoy it, have fun and don't let the relative few that may, cause you to miss out

Old 09-09-2018, 08:03 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Man, thanks but I just can't roll them dice.

It's either a discounted 2018 or a newer Twinkie that's nicely discounted due to the M8 rollout.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:16 PM
iHodor
Road Warrior
Received 440 Likes on 321 Posts

AFAIK there has been only one report here of an M8 Softail sumping, and it was stock.

I agree with mjwebb, if you buy it do so with the idea of riding it, and just enjoy it. The odds are very definitely in your favor and you're unlikely to experience problems. Then again if you plan to build it into a stage III or IV, you ride hard for long periods, and do so in extreme temperatures then you start tipping the balance the other way, according to what has been reported. But remember, some of the twins cams sumped too.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:26 PM
hollandhunter
Road Captain
Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
Man, thanks but I just can't roll them dice.

It's either a discounted 2018 or a newer Twinkie that's nicely discounted due to the M8 rollout.
Your rolling the dice no matter what bike you buy. An i like both the twin cam and the m8. If i spend 20k+ on a new harley i want a warrenty.

with that said go buy a 2018 street glide special in you color choice and ride that bad buy if money allows.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:32 PM
FatBob2018
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,267 Posts

In all the time I've been on this forum, and lurking before I was a member, I have only heard one user claim that a Softail sumped. Odd thing is, what he described doesn't sound like sumping at all, he says d there was no loss of power, no burnt oil smell, nothing like that, just some leaking from some lower gaskets, but the dealer told him it was sumping. I wonder if he didn't just encounter an idiot service writer who told him the wrong thing?

In any case, it sounds to me that the Softails are relatively immune from sumping. It COULD happen, according to the Harley tech bulletin, but I don't think we have ever heard of a case of it happening here, with the typical symptoms. I think if you go Stage IV you can ncreincr the odds, maybe. But I am quite confident the lighter weight, more frequent gas stops, different crankcase, etc., all combine to make it rare to non-existent on the Softail M8's.

Last edited by FatBob2018; 09-09-2018 at 10:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by FatBob2018:
GPHDXLC (09-14-2018), Mattbastard (09-10-2018), Northernproducer (09-10-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 08:17 AM
mcriderfl
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default None that I've heard of

I have a 2018 heritage 107 with a stage 1 and a dyno tune.

Mine has 4900 miles, and has not sumped. I ride very fast and tend to take off from stops quickly...i'm having fun.

I see one of the techs fairly often at church and recently asked if he'd seen any softails sump. He said no, only touring models.

I personally won't buy another Harley, it will be back to the trouble free Japanese bikes for me.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:24 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob2018
In all the time I've been on this forum, and lurking before I was a member, I have only heard one user claim that a Softail sumped. Odd thing is, what he described doesn't sound like sumping at all, he says d there was no loss of power, no burnt oil smell, nothing like that, just some leaking from some lower gaskets, but the dealer told him it was sumping. I wonder if he didn't just encounter an idiot service writer who told him the wrong thing?

In any case, it sounds to me that the Softails are relatively immune from sumping. It COULD happen, according to the Harley tech bulletin, but I don't think we have ever heard of a case of it happening here, with the typical symptoms. I think if you go Stage IV you can ncreincr the odds, maybe. But I am quite confident the lighter weight, more frequent gas stops, different crankcase, etc., all combine to make it rare to non-existent on the Softail M8's.
What he said.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by hollandhunter
Your rolling the dice no matter what bike you buy. An i like both the twin cam and the m8. If i spend 20k+ on a new harley i want a warrenty.

with that said go buy a 2018 street glide special in you color choice and ride that bad buy if money allows.
I would say you have a greater risk of dying on the bike, than the bike dying on you.

The following 2 users liked this post by Keithhu:
mark.franklin (01-01-2021), mazz (09-14-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Another Old Timer
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

From everything I have heard, read, or rumors, the answer is no sumping. My Heritage Softail 114 with the HD Torque Cam and tuner at 8,000 miles, no issues at all.

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (09-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Are the Softails sumping?