Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Michigan UP/Lake Superior AAR. Will be pic/video heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 07:32 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts
Default Michigan UP/Lake Superior AAR. Will be pic/video heavy!

Let me start off by thanking all that responded to my original post. The info was invaluable to making this trip a success for both me and my wife. This trip started as a 40th Class Reunion from Gwinn High School. Wife was an Air Force brat that lived there from 1972 -1977 as her father was a Chief Master Sargent at KI Sawyer Air Force Base during that time. WWII, Korea, Vietnam Vet that sadly passed away 30 years ago at rather young age of 60. Although my wife lived in the area she never got to see much other than the immediate Gwinn/Marquette area. It was her suggestion we take the bikes up there and spend a week checking the place out.!!! God I love my wife sometimes!!! Much quick planning and study was required on my part to pull this off. One of the first things I did was order some Sena headsets. We've been on many bike trips but other than when we had a Goldwing and she was a passenger never been able to communicate. The SMH10 units performed flawlessly for up to 14 hours and being able to spot things and pull off in time without doubling back was very welcome as well as being able to share music with each other. Highly recommend these units!!! As a thread starter pic when we were driving up we went through several heavy downpours and although the forecast for the area was improving I still worried about getting rained out. As we were nearing Gwinn after many miles of rain this appeared and I knew it was a sign of great things to come!!!!

Loaded and ready to roll, riding was not an option this trip.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-09-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:47 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

We left our home in Tenn at 6AM and arrived 15 hours later in Gwinn after just fuel stops and a quick stop in Osh Kosh for a bite to eat. Found our remote cabin in Little Lake, unpacked, and went to bed. The next day the Class reunion was scheduled at the Throttle Saloon for 4pm so we spent the day letting my wife relive old memories by exploring KI Sawyer, the old housing where she lived, visiting with old friends, etc. Sadly the base was closed in 1995 and what it left is in a sad state for the most part even though the airport is now Marquette International with a couple of flights each day.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-10-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:53 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

Most of the base housing is now Section 8 as the government shipped in several thousand less than desirable people into what was a very peaceful/crime free community. The locals are less than pleased. I don't know the numbers but there have to be several thousand homes and untold number of huge apartment type building on base from in it's hayday.

At least the home she lived in is still well kept. Many were boarded up or left typical Section 8 property conditions with piles of trash, abandoned cars, etc

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-09-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:58 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

There is an Air Force Museum on the base that we went through but did not take any pics while inside. One of the more interesting things the old guy there told us about was this old Russian vodka hauler that was confiscated several years ago for non payment of a $40,000 fuel bill. Here she still sits today, but you would think Vlad would like to have his plane back

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-26-2017 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RistoRap (07-13-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 07:59 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

subscribed

The following users liked this post:
tnriverluver (07-11-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 08:23 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

We stayed in what turned out to be a pretty nice little cabin in Little Lake that we found on VRBO. No cable, no TV other than a little old TV/VCR (yes VCR) combo, no internet, but I had good AT&T phone service, Verizon on my wife's not so much, and like most homes in Michigan, no AC. That would have been nice the last two days as temps got into the mid 80's!!!! Think this lake is named Farmers Lake.

This pic was taken at 10:20 PM This will bite me on our last night since the cabin had no curtains on the back windows and I will need to get to bed by 9 to leave at 3:30am and drive 15 hours home.

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-09-2017 at 08:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:57 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

We still had about 4 hours to kill before the reunion so we rode into Marquette for some quick sightseeing. Beautiful city I would like to have time one day to actually explore!!!

We get about halfway out on the rocks and simultaneously look at each other thinking old bones might not be a good idea falling into one of those deep gaps in between!

Doe nursing 2 fawns. They are EVERYWHERE!!!!!

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-26-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:18 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

I've carried a gun on me nearly 24/7 for the past 25 years or so. On this trip I brought a Keltec P3at and a Glock 43 since they are easy to carry in my jacket pocket. Way to old and crippled to have to fight my way out of trouble. For the first time I can remember I never carried either for the entire week we spent in the U.P. as it just seemed to be that safe up there. Strange being able to move around and not keeping a constant eye over your shoulder like I have to do here at home! I also wanted to be free to stop and have a beer or 3 if the desire so hit me

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-10-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:59 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

As a first of only two warnings to anyone thinking of traveling and spending any time in the U.P. be prepared to battle huge mosquitoes. The things are thick most everywhere are so big they actually crunch and will leave the palm of your hand covered in blood when you manage to kill them. I am one of those people they love to bite, yet they never bite my wife but still drive you crazy buzzing around you head and face. The other waring is deer!!! They are EVERYWHERE and currently the Does have their fawns along with them. When we were nearing our destination of Gwinn traveling in on M35 along the lakeshore around 9PM we had 2 deer dart out and nearly take us out. The only saving grace is I constantly am on the lookout for deer since they are thick at home also and I knew how bad they would be in Michigan. Fortunately the apposing lane was open and I was able to swerve over and miss what would have been a big impact. We saw anywhere from 4 to 20 deer along side of the roads every day we were there except one and we were in the truck that day instead of the bikes.
You will need lots of this!

Last edited by tnriverluver; 07-10-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:48 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member

The rest of the evening on Saturday was spent at the class reunion and I must say it was a blast even for us spouses/outsiders. The turnout was amazing with about 150 people showing up from all over the country including Arizona, California, Fla, Georgia, etc. Few still lived in Gwinn since most were Air Force brats just as my wife. We partied until 1:30 before we decided to call it a night and take the long 3/4 mile journey back to our cabin. Did I say we had a great location??? Only pic I'll post since these folks might not like their picture on the net.

Quick Reply: Michigan UP/Lake Superior AAR. Will be pic/video heavy!