Screamin Eagle CVO Models All CVO Bikes 1999 thru present.

CVO Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Neither too old to do either but still love and enjoy good things in life.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:29 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Was looking at a new bike this past weekend, sales guy asked if I was thinking about trading my 13 FLTRXSE2, so I said maybe...

The bike is immaculate, tons of accessories to include the factory matched tour pack, all of the CVO paraphernalia still in the original packaging, binder full of maintenance receipts.

Trade Value on a 37K new bike at my local H-D Dealership. 18K!

Yes, less than half of what I spent.

Not sure my next bike is going to be a Harley based on this experience.
well, one flaw in your scenario is the price you initially paid. the 2013 fltrxse2 was $33,000 new. not $37. you may have paid that much with dealer markup, fees, taxes, etc. but that is throw away money. you never get that back.

i'm down to the last couple of payments on my 13. i'm thinking i like the idea of not having a payment, so not looking to trade mine in anytime soon.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
well, one flaw in your scenario is the price you initially paid. the 2013 fltrxse2 was $33,000 new. not $37. you may have paid that much with dealer markup, fees, taxes, etc. but that is throw away money. you never get that back.

i'm down to the last couple of payments on my 13. i'm thinking i like the idea of not having a payment, so not looking to trade mine in anytime soon.
It took 6 months to locate the last Orange CVO in the country, 33K was the price however by time I had it dealer transferred and all the BS the dealer wanted to tac on, it came in about 37K, this has nothing to do with my scenario, what I paid is not the issue, my add ons are not the issue. My local dealer wants over MSRP for the bike I am looking at and is low balling the trade value by 4K. I don't owe anything on my 13. I don't need a new bike, my wife instigated this transaction.

PS, there were dozens of Emerald Green models available at 34K, I wanted the orange.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:03 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

well, it really does. you can't say you lost that much in depreciation, when $4000 of said 'loss' was overpayment.

either way, i'd still be looking at a different dealer. there's gotta be someone out there somewhere who'll give you a better deal than what your local is offering.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:55 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Coastal, you're in Corpus? Only one dealer in town. At my last visit they still had at least 2 new 2016 CVO tour bikes on the floor, so I'm not surprised they'd low ball your trade in.

Next closest dealer is in Victoria, an even smaller market.

I'm a new transplant to Corpus and enjoying the riding season here!

Old 12-01-2017, 02:23 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fullbore55
Coastal, you're in Corpus? Only one dealer in town. At my last visit they still had at least 2 new 2016 CVO tour bikes on the floor, so I'm not surprised they'd low ball your trade in.

Next closest dealer is in Victoria, an even smaller market.

I'm a new transplant to Corpus and enjoying the riding season here!
Welcome to CC. I rode in this morning in a T-Shirt on December 1st, is't it wonderful in that respect. You will likely see the Orange beast somewhere around town since you are here, I ride it almost every day.

Fortunate for me, my territory consists of Waco to Mexico so I hit all the dealers in between. Have not added any of the other dealer conversations to this discussion, however, I have spoke with several since this desire of my wife to look at new bikes, Austin, San Antonio were as expected, better but I have not found a deal that makes me want to trade my CVO thus far. Have not been to the RGV yet, I actually bought the bike at Mad Boar in San Benito, they were the only dealer that took the time and effort to locate what I wanted.

Scratch, I am not looking at what I paid, I am looking at what the value of my bike shows in KBB and bikes sold on the interweb. This local dealer wants 2K over MSRP for their bike and wants to allow 4K under the agreed value of my bike, agreed by KBB, and two other dealers. I am not sure why you focus on the 37K number, to be honest, that is 10 K under what I have in the bike, but, that is another story altogether.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:54 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

My local dealer changed ownership earlier this year. I’m on my second CVO Road Glide. It’s a 2015 with 44K miles on it now. A couple months ago a salesman tried to entice me onto a new 2018 CVO Ultra, which I’m not a bat wing fan. I had 35K miles on my CVO at the time.
The dealership wanted $6K over msrp and offered me $13K for mine. LMAO!

I told them no way. The very next morning someone bought it for that price. I’m not a payment buyer, I’m a cash difference buyer. I hate to be in that guy’s shoes that bought it when he’s ready to trade out of it. LOL

Old 12-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member

As long as someone is willing to pay ridiculous prices and take nothing for their trade, there will be dealers taking advantage of those folks.

Corpus is a small town and it's a long way to the next big city, folks want something so they will just pay for it. If your willing to drive a little, you could save some decent change, heck, you might be able to use the savings to purchase some accessories.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:21 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

A harley is not an investment, it is a either a toy or transportation. However, a low milage CVO can be bought sometimes at a bargain.

The following users liked this post:
riknbeth (12-06-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
A harley is not an investment, it is a either a toy or transportation. However, a low milage CVO can be bought sometimes at a bargain.
Mostly true statement, the part about a bargain, only true if you but it from an individual, dealers take them on the cheap and ask for high retail when they have them on the floor.

Quick Reply: CVO Depreciation