Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

New guy first post looking for input on a motor build.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 12:30 PM
Youngshovel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy first post looking for input on a motor build.

Hi everyone my name is Al and I live in central Illinois. I'm a younger fella that's always been into older stuff at only 23 my 77' super glide has a few years on me lol. Anyways, I haven't got it cracked open yet but it's about ready to come out. I have a general idea to what I want to do but I need to actually get it opened up and figure what's in there I'm fairly sure that it's mostly stock with possibly a cam and had a s&s super b. Reason I'm taking it apart anyways is the super b let as leak by if I forgot to turn the gas off and long story short it washed the cylinders down and now it smokes like a banshee. Looking at definitely boring it when I get it out and most likely 4 1/2 in stroke. I believe me and my dad can do some head work on account he used to do that for side money on dirt track cars. Wondering mostly about what compression and cam setup to shoot for. Most likely going to switch to a super e for air and fuel. Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Youngshovel
1st Gear

And by the way, I know this will be asked first, so I'm not Lookin for some insane wheelie pulling high horsepower crazy machine. Just wanting something that's still fairly reliable but has a little more *** than what it does now. Something along the lines of it'll wake up and talke to me real nice when I crack on it and maybe burn a little rubber along the way.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:06 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Welcome from over here in the Great State of Maine

Old 03-17-2017, 05:33 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 2,891 Posts

on the cheap the 86 inch stroker was the go to engine, use your barrels and put a 4 5/8 stroke in it with 8 to 1 pistons, dont junk the heads with duel plugs it does nothing anyway, and they are too big for a stock motor by lots so no porting - cast iron guides with the rubber seals kibblewhite valves = usa spring kit, you could use a leinwebber cam - look them up but dont use his springs way to strong - a ultima ignition duel fire or single your choice they do the same thing - super E - tighten up the 4 speed then 23 front 46 rear sprockets

great machine real fun to drive pulls in any gear better then you thought it was going to - 1000 mile brake in drive it like its moms bike

The following users liked this post:
Nick Sorgio (03-23-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 05:48 PM
CRASH69
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
on the cheap the 86 inch stroker was the go to engine, use your barrels and put a 4 5/8 stroke in it with 8 to 1 pistons, dont junk the heads with duel plugs it does nothing anyway, and they are too big for a stock motor by lots so no porting - cast iron guides with the rubber seals kibblewhite valves = usa spring kit, you could use a leinwebber cam - look them up but dont use his springs way to strong - a ultima ignition duel fire or single your choice they do the same thing - super E - tighten up the 4 speed then 23 front 46 rear sprockets

great machine real fun to drive pulls in any gear better then you thought it was going to - 1000 mile brake in drive it like its moms bike
2nd that...Mike

Old 03-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Youngshovel
1st Gear

Awesome thanks johnjzjz sounds like a solid plan I just put that all down on a list to start pricing things. So you think I should stick with stock bore? I'm afraid cylinders might be scored on account of the super b washing the oil out in and making it smoke like hell. (And the fact I couldn't quite let a little smoke keep me from riding it anyways) If honing won't take care of it will boring change much? And also if anyone has any of this stuff laying around that sees this thread I have paypal

Old 03-19-2017, 04:24 PM
Youngshovel
1st Gear

My suspicions were right got the cam out and it's an Andrews AB. Measured and stroke and bore is stock. Gonna start ordering parts soon gettin me excited

Old 03-19-2017, 05:05 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 2,891 Posts

just so you know

while S&S has had a good rep for ever and the flywheels are a super product some years back they made a change - they no longer machine them for flywheel washers, and every motor we re do as in knuckel pan shovel iron sporty and evos the washers are always damaged and need replacing

Now they are the same weight left and right and are made of steel and S&S will tell you to balance them at 60 percent - 5250 is the factorys red line for a early big twin, and 1/2 of that RPM is the center of the balance so 2625 is the sweet spot, and with early stock gearing its all good

truitt / osborne flywheels are made from a better cast iron then the old stuff we have running around in stock harleys, they are not the same weight side to side and the flywheels washers were replaceable < well the last set i bought anyway had them

they dont give out a balance number that i know of - OEM harley doing a military hang in balancing, will if you back balance an original piece will bring you to 57 percent, BUT the USA hwy system was not completed in this country till the 1970s so your local town to town 2 lane was the norm and engine speeds were low, and speed was a 40 to 55 MPH thing not the any lane 85 MPH we see today and that is in traffic

all i do today is collectibles so we use the factory numbers at 57 percent

and yes tiawan tedd sells china made one time use flywheels they are on flea bay

The following 2 users liked this post by johnjzjz:
Nick Sorgio (03-23-2017), Taggs (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 05:17 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

OP isn't even going to thank you JZ I will lol!

Old 03-19-2017, 10:43 PM
Youngshovel
1st Gear

Thanks for all the info man, wow, I had no idea about truett Osbourne even existing. I'm new to this Harley thing haha. Now I checked them out and there very close on price to the s&s kit. Next question for me would be is it plausible to just machine the s&s wheels to accept the washers? I know I don't want anything I spend that much money on to be chewed on and not be repairable. I also noticed that the truett Osbourne website says they are pre-balanced ready to install does that mean that's not so with the s&s?