Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Roller rockers / Evo style oiling

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 AM
Redryderr
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roller rockers / Evo style oiling

Bike is down for build. My builder threw the option of roller rockers at me and I wasn't ready for that 500 dollar question! Looking for some advice from someone that's been down this path.

The bike is '72 glide, staying pretty "stock-ish", just looking for a long running reliable motor, not building a rocket! Motor is going to have S&S 8:1 pistons, S&S oil pump, Andrews J cam, and Velvatouch lifters.

The option is putting a set of S&S roller rockers and Velvatouch pushrods in to get the Evo style oiling. Is this worth it for a stock-ish motor? Any issues with lift/geometry, etc. with the listed components? Any problems with this setup getting too much oil in the top end and not draining well? Anything else I should be concerned with?

Thanks!
Red

Old 03-27-2011, 11:57 AM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 558 Posts

Just putting my bike back together now
I went a slightly different route, I put stock evo rockers in place of my stk ones which gives me an increase of 12% lift with out changing the cam
Shovel rocker ratio approx 1.5 while evo rockers are 1.63 so my stk H grind cam goes from .390 lift to .440 lift. I got the rockers from the dealer they were used but looked like new for $45
I am staying with stock oiling for now but down the road i will switch to evo lifter /pushrods/oiling etc
This will give you a lot more options for cams later on
Dave

Old 03-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Redryderr
Stage IV

That's a lot more friendly on the pocket book then shelling out the scratch for Jim's or S&s's! I like the idea of the oiling through the pushrods, seems like it's the way to go.

Did you have to shorten the shafts to fit your boxes? Modify spacers?

Originally Posted by shovelhead1980
Just putting my bike back together now
I went a slightly different route, I put stock evo rockers in place of my stk ones which gives me an increase of 12% lift with out changing the cam
Shovel rocker ratio approx 1.5 while evo rockers are 1.63 so my stk H grind cam goes from .390 lift to .440 lift. I got the rockers from the dealer they were used but looked like new for $45
I am staying with stock oiling for now but down the road i will switch to evo lifter /pushrods/oiling etc
This will give you a lot more options for cams later on
Dave

Old 03-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes the evo rockers are slightly longer , you can trim them down a bit or as i did I had a friend machine the spacers down and i now have .004 clearance
Dave

Old 03-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Redryderr
Stage IV

Hey, thanks for the reply. I decided to just stay with the stock shovel oiliing and rockers for now. That new S&S pump should be a bump up from the stock pump I had on there. I'll keep in mind the evo upgrade stuff for the future. Been toying with the idea of maybe at least running a split line up to the rockers to get even oiling to both front and back.

Red

Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 PM
Big Dave
Outstanding HDF Member

Cool I am more about the ride then the BS
The EVO conversion is an option That more People should consider, The parts are more readily available and many more options for cams etc. Really don't think splitting the oil feed to the rockers will be of any advantage but it looks good so to each his own
Hope your build go's good for you I hope to be running in a couple of weeks
Dave

Old 03-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Redryderr
Stage IV

Thanks Dave,

Weather's starting to get nice by me, getting pretty itchy to ride!!!

Red