Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally have a Harley!!! Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 07:11 PM
BigMike@1984
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally have a Harley!!! Need help

I have wanted a Harley since I was a baby!!! I have always liked the fat boys because I am to big for a sporty. I was in the right place at the right time saying I want to get a bike but I don't have the money because of family obligations. An older guy I work with told me he'd sell me his for $1200!!!! 1997 softtail custom! Unfortunately the history of the bike it's been sitting outside for the last seven years. I don't care though I gave him the cash, didn't ask questions and got the poor baby in my nice warm garage. When I picked it up it looked like a rat bike after about 36 straight hours it looks like it's straight off the show room floor, it started after oil change and new battery, and I even rode it around the block!!! It wasn't easy getting it running but once it was warmed up it purred. Now my issue is I can go outside and start it with the choke on but it dies soon as the chokes all the way in. After a while of trying to get it started like maybe three or four times if it's not running the battery starts to drain . I'm eager to get comfortable with it and start riding soon but unfortunately I don't have the cash at the present moment to take it to the shop and pay another grand. After I ran it and then it stalled when the choke was all the way in, white smoke came out by the carburetor. It doesn't always happen just sometimes when I'm trying to get the bike started and it stalls and sometimes it's more smoke than others. Any good advice would be greatly appreciated it preferably something I could do myself because I am familiar with motorcycles a little bit. My buddy said it might be the vacuum seals in the carburetor but if someone knows something that I don't that I may need professional assistance please share. Thanks guys happy to be part of the new community!!!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:20 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

Nice score.

Fuel gunks up after a while. The great majority of the likelihood is you have a little gunk to spray out. These carbs are very simple - open and close them carefully, inspect the parts and they are not that mysterious. Here's what I'd do:

- Pull the carb - take off the top - shine a light on the diaphram - check for any holes. Unlikely.

- Pull of the little cover on the accelerator pump (google image search) - pull out the diaphragm, shine a light behind it - if no holes should be fine but should be replaced after all these years.

- Pull of the bottom, unscrew the pilot and main jets. Spray them out with brake cleaner. Yes, I said brake cleaner. But carb cleaner is fine too. Make sure the little holes are clear. I like to inspect with a magnifier. A paper clip is a great way to clear if needed.

- There is a carb to manifold boot that does need replacing periodically - it is probably hard - suggest replacing. It's supposed to be a dry compression fit but I would coat with a light coat of grease to get buy until a replacement received.

In the future you can adjust fuel mix and have more fun with that - but based on what you said this will probably get it working well.

A mix of seafoam in fresh fuel in the tank would be good to clear out the system. Use recommended mix per gallon.

I might also drain tank and inspect any filters including that on the petcock.

The tires are probably too old to ride - be careful - replace if > 5 years old.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:24 PM
BigMike@1984
6th Gear

That's what I've been hearing but you've given more detailed information. Both tires definitely need replaced the farthest I am taking it is around the block and probably won't even have it out of second gear and that's just to feel the bike. I have an appointment set in two weeks to have the tires replaced. Thanks for the help!!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:33 PM
81rat
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 270 Posts

As Jessedyna said clean the fuel system all of it , I would even to get a really clean carb would be to take the carb to a machine shop and have them soak it in cleaner to remove everything that's gummed up about $5

Old 04-28-2017, 07:37 PM
BigMike@1984
6th Gear

That's not a bad idea and it sounds pretty cheap also. thanks. I'm not too concerned with money long term just short term like a month or so.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:38 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 312 Likes on 228 Posts

One other thing - pictures or it didn't happen!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:52 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,374 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Welcome BigMike1984!

How much riding experience do you have?

Bike sounds like a great way to learn all about Harleys.

This forum has some decent info. You just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:26 PM
BigMike@1984
6th Gear

I haven't rode a bike in approximately eight years and I've never owned a cruiser. So it would be safe to call me a rookie or a beginner. I'm familiar with motorcycles but remembering where everything is, that is going to take me some time. Speaking of time those photos will be uploading as soon as I can figure this out haha

Before
After

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-01-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:51 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

a few things I'd do: clean the carb, replace the fuel line, change the spark plugs an wires, change the primary an trans fluids, replace the brake fluid with fresh stuff, tires, adj the clutch an lube the cables. If it still needs the choke after cleaning the carb an adding fresh gas it might have a leak in the intake gaskets. also there's a screen you need to clean every so often that screens the oil before it goes into the block. Google tappet screen cleaning...kinda long but here's a video on cleaning the carb

Old 04-28-2017, 09:18 PM
BigMike@1984
6th Gear

Before.......
36 hours later

Quick Reply: Finally have a Harley!!! Need help