Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Softail Heritage Classic - heat problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:51 AM
ET_
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2015 Softail Heritage Classic - heat problem

Hello,
Since I bought it new all stock I had a terrible heat from the rear cylinder and oil tank on my right foot. Especially on stop/go at traffic lights in the city.
Then I added Screaming Eagle tuner with KTM air filter and Vance and Hines finals. The heat is still there although the bike is significantly more responsive.
Does anybody found a solution to the extreme heat of the softail? Except the leather or plastic deflectors which are minor improving?
Somebody said that if I go for a Fuel Pack 3 or 5 tuner and have a proper dyno testing, it might reduce the heat.... but I am talking about 1500Euro extra expense and I am quite suspicions that I will get results.

The alternatives are to get used with it (as I am trying for 3 years... ad 30000KM...) or sell it....

Any thoughts? Miracle answers?

Thx

Old 08-20-2018, 12:09 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Take a look at this thread as others have had the same questions as you: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-and-tune.html

Old 08-20-2018, 06:20 PM
jkinner
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts

JMHO I would still look real close @ captainitch.com a lot of people swear by their crotch coolers. Ride safe.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:46 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

I have a 09 Heritage and it always was like sitting on an oven. I have done a stage 1, full true duals, woods 555 cams, Thundermax tuner......still hot...especially compared to my 06 88 softail which is a pleasure. I added a captain itch crotch cooler.....helps but I can still bake a pizza on it. All this and my oil dipstick still said 270. My 06 with the same dipstick runs around 220. I added love jugs mini mites and it got my temperature down around 245 to 250 and last week I put in a ultracool oil cooler and now it's running consistently 220-230. Much more tolerable and much better. FINALLY! I would say the ultracool cooler made the biggest difference. I think everything together has really helped but I remember when it was stock and it was beastly hot!

Last edited by golfblues; 08-20-2018 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ET_ (09-09-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:08 AM
ET_
6th Gear
Red face thank you but still...

Originally Posted by golfblues
I have a 09 Heritage and it always was like sitting on an oven. I have done a stage 1, full true duals, woods 555 cams, Thundermax tuner......still hot...especially compared to my 06 88 softail which is a pleasure. I added a captain itch crotch cooler.....helps but I can still bake a pizza on it. All this and my oil dipstick still said 270. My 06 with the same dipstick runs around 220. I added love jugs mini mites and it got my temperature down around 245 to 250 and last week I put in a ultracool oil cooler and now it's running consistently 220-230. Much more tolerable and much better. FINALLY! I would say the ultracool cooler made the biggest difference. I think everything together has really helped but I remember when it was stock and it was beastly hot!
Actually I think I put the question wrong in the first place. The right question is: What is the right temperature the Softail 2015 engine should work at? And if being like a crazy pizza oven it is normal, then how should I protect my "belongings", especially the right one from being "well done"? I had the same problem with stock as with tuning. So the first real question is if my engine is working at the right temperature. As I have seen in the forums lots of people are complaining about the extreme heat. I simply want first to have my bike working right and only later to find a way of self protecting.
The ultracool oil cooler it protected you from the heat, but how about the engine? Is it good or bad for it?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:57 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

Cooler engine oil is always good as long as its above 200+ to burn off condensation.

ABQ-Jammer (09-11-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 07:47 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,365 Likes on 2,203 Posts

EZ - Call Larry and Isabel at Capt Itch..

Captain Itch (09-14-2018)
Old 09-09-2018, 10:19 AM
ET_
6th Gear

Dear Uncle Kebo, thanks. I have already installed a leather heat shield with minimum results. At stop-n-go or "parade" it's still burning like hell

Old 09-09-2018, 10:21 AM
ET_
6th Gear

what ultracool oil cooler?

Old 09-09-2018, 10:27 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

OP, I mean this sincerely, not sarcastically.

A 1.687 liter air cooled motorcycle might not be for you. Despite what people say on the internet, Harley engines run hot; especially when it's hot out and most especially during slow going. Accept that as part of the breed and you'll save yourself a lot of whatever kind of money you guys have over there. If you can't accept that; sell it and get a bike made in Japan or Europe with water and oil cooling (major brands anyway).

As an aside, in my opinion, anything used to divert heat away from the rider that traps heat around the engine is not doing it any favors. I believe the best thing for a Harley engine are fans that blow air across the cylinder heads. I have some that were made by and entrepreneur on this forum. He has since stopped making them and a company called Love Jugs makes the exact product called Mighty Mites. I will say this, they do increase the amount of hot air felt on your right thigh as they blow from left to right. However, I an unconcerned with my comfort, I'm only interested to cooling the engine.

As for oil coolers, even fan models, they cool the oil that's a symptom of high engine temperature, the heads/combustion chambers being hottest; oil can't cool that. An oil cooler can never hurt but it wouldn't be my first line of defense. I personally don't run an oil cooler of any sort, fans only.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 09-09-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 2015 Softail Heritage Classic - heat problem