Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durability of the "black out" paint/powdercoat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 05:37 PM
wvedec
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Durability of the "black out" paint/powdercoat?

I will probably have to replace my 2012 Harley Heritage Softail Classic (don't ask - too painful to discuss). I was actually very excited when the 2018 models came out, as they had all of the mechanical upgrades I desired. However, I was devastated by the lack of chrome and the "blacked out" design. I could not bring myself to even consider buying one.

However, as I may now have to buy a new bike, I will have to seriously consider putting away my dislike for the blacked out look and just live with it (it is not as bad as it used to be). I am considering getting a 2018 or 2019 Harley Heritage Classic. Maintenance should be easier, as there will not be all that chrome to keep polished.

However, I was wondering about the durability of the paint/powdercoat used to black out the engine. It may be too early to tell, but has anyone noticed a problem with the blacked out finish? Does it chip or scratch easily or is it pretty tough?

Thanks for any info you can provide!!

Wayne

Old 09-09-2018, 08:28 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I have 2016 Slim S,no issues whatsoever.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:53 AM
FLSTC-Dave
Road Captain
Received 351 Likes on 188 Posts

I know your asking about the durability of all this blacked out stuff but I love to hate chrome. When I looked at the 2018 Heritage she looked like nothing more than frame paint on all the things that were chrome before. And the little big things they took away like a sissy bar and backrest out of the box, heal shifter ECT. If you want an M8 and new frame/suspension and can get past the the lack of the beauty of chrome when polished go for it man. Maybe a Deluxe? Maybe there's a left over or low mileage 17 103 out there for ya? I just can't get past the look. The things they took away, the bags, and everything else they did to it. But maintaining finishes, no matter what kind of finish it is, there's always a product that can be used for it. I wish you the best of luck with this decision. Ain't enough beers and stewing on it for me. A new RK will be parked next to my '14 Heritage

Old 09-09-2018, 12:48 PM
blackSP
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My experience with high quality powder coating is that it lasts 'forever' looks as good or near as good as black paint and is cheaper too.

​​​Had many bikes blacked out over the years including chrome parts, engine parts, exhausts.

Just make sure that special powder is used for the exhaust parts.
Great stuff!

Last edited by blackSP; 09-09-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Valdemar
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Please, dont replace your 2012 Harley Heritage Softail Classic for a new Japan Harley with radiator in the front.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:23 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Originally Posted by wvedec
I will probably have to replace my 2012 Harley Heritage Softail Classic (don't ask - too painful to discuss). I was actually very excited when the 2018 models came out, as they had all of the mechanical upgrades I desired. However, I was devastated by the lack of chrome and the "blacked out" design. I could not bring myself to even consider buying one.

However, as I may now have to buy a new bike, I will have to seriously consider putting away my dislike for the blacked out look and just live with it ....
Judging by your post, am I to understand that the 2018/19 Heritage Classic only comes blacked out? No color choices. No offering of chrome parts like a real motorcycle?

Old 09-12-2018, 07:43 PM
wvedec
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well, almost

Originally Posted by Hey Man
Judging by your post, am I to understand that the 2018/19 Heritage Classic only comes blacked out? No color choices. No offering of chrome parts like a real motorcycle?
Yes and No. There are numerous color choices beside the standard Vivid Black, although I am not thrilled by most of them - especially the "denim" finish.

Regarding the engine, forks, rims, etc, it is only offered blacked out in 2018/2019. However, I am sure that you can sit down with the salesperson and special order a chromed out version. Since the Deluxe is chromed out, the chrome parts used on the Deluxe would be interchangeable with the blacked out version on the Heritage. How much extra would such a special order cost. Don't know, but I may be finding out. If I do, I will post my experience here.

Wayne