Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decode EVO Engine Number?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 06:18 PM
RickJ
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You're a wealth of information hattitude. I was big into Harleys back in the 70s and 80s (Knuckles, Pans, and Shovels), and recently got back into them. Am still learning what HD was up to the past 40 years.

I would add that my motor is a BK Harley crate motor. OP said his bike was a 1997 custom so chances are his is a crate motor as well.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:36 PM
michael-dasma
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason i ask you guys is ,my bike looks like that , full dessempled in small parts . Need to assembly again but with new gaskets and bearings .

Old 01-08-2024, 06:39 PM
michael-dasma
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like that weile is assembling again .

The following users liked this post:
hattitude (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 09:13 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,462 Likes on 4,044 Posts

Nice project....

That's gonna be fun... both putting it together and riding it afterward...

Enjoy...!

michael-dasma (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 02:55 PM
RickJ
4th Gear

Nice looking bike. Hope it goes back together smoothly for you!

Old 01-09-2024, 06:10 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RickJ

You're a wealth of information hattitude. I was big into Harleys back in the 70s and 80s (Knuckles, Pans, and Shovels), and recently got back into them. Am still learning what HD was up to the past 40 years.

I would add that my motor is a BK Harley crate motor. OP said his bike was a 1997 custom so chances are his is a crate motor as well.
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm just one of many Harley enthusiasts, who loves riding & working on his Harley bikes. I happen to have the time to share some of the stuff I have learned (often the hard way) over the years... There are many on this forum more knowledgeable than me... I just have more time on my hands to read and type on the forum..

Allow me to share another bit of info, that is second hand..

We now know the 1997 Engine number is actually "BKLV030590". Per a report from a fellow forum member who called Harley customer service, the EIN (engine Identification number) tells us it is NOT a crate engine.

During a thread decoding an EIN, a customer called Harley Customer service to inquire about the origin of an engine. He reports that they told him that the number in position 5 of the EIN, will have a number "9" to indicate the engine was sold separate from a motorcycle, such as a crate engine. So per his inquiry, if the last six numbers begin with a number "9", that number is an engine only number, and not part of a VIN from a bike the engine was delivered from the factory installed in...

In this case we can't say for certain, but it suggests this engine came from the factory in another bike...

Again, not something I have verified personally, and I don't know why they would have the indicators for a specific model on a crate engine, but I am paying attention to see if it holds true...

Last edited by hattitude; 01-09-2024 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 07:56 PM
RickJ
4th Gear

Learning something new every day here! My motor's birth certificate is in post #8 on this thread, and position #5 in the serial is a 9. I have all the original paperwork from Harley and the dealer where it was purchased, and am 100% certain it's a crate.

Thanks for the info!

The following 2 users liked this post by RickJ:
hattitude (01-09-2024), michael-dasma (01-09-2024)
Old 01-30-2024, 06:30 AM
Matthewdean
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm just one of many Harley enthusiasts, who loves riding & working on his Harley bikes. I happen to have the time to share some of the stuff I have learned (often the hard way) over the years... There are many on this forum more knowledgeable than me... I just have more time on my hands to read and type on the forum..

Allow me to share another bit of info, that is second hand..

We now know the 1997 Engine number is actually "BKLV030590". Per a report from a fellow forum member who called Harley customer service, the EIN (engine Identification number) tells us it is NOT a crate engine.

During a thread decoding an EIN, a customer called Harley Customer service to inquire about the origin of an engine. He reports that they told him that the number in position 5 of the EIN, will have a number "9" to indicate the engine was sold separate from a motorcycle, such as a crate engine. So per his inquiry, if the last six numbers begin with a number "9", that number is an engine only number, and not part of a VIN from a bike the engine was delivered from the factory installed in...

In this case we can't say for certain, but it suggests this engine came from the factory in another bike...

Again, not something I have verified personally, and I don't know why they would have the indicators for a specific model on a crate engine, but I am paying attention to see if it holds true...
may I ask you for a little help with identifying my Harley engine? I've been looking everywhere and trying for a long time to find out what year it was made and exactly what it is. The only thing that I know about it is that it's an 80 cubic inch and it came off of an Electra Glide. Don't have a clue of the year or anything else. If you could give me any information on it, it would be greatly appreciated. The engine numbers are DJLR500373. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:19 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Matthewdean
may I ask you for a little help with identifying my Harley engine? I've been looking everywhere and trying for a long time to find out what year it was made and exactly what it is. The only thing that I know about it is that it's an 80 cubic inch and it came off of an Electra Glide. Don't have a clue of the year or anything else. If you could give me any information on it, it would be greatly appreciated. The engine numbers are DJLR500373. Thanks in advance.

EIN DJLR500373:

DJ = FLHTC, Electra Glide Ultra Classic

L = 1340cc (80") Evolution Engine

R = 1994

500373 = Production numbers, should match the last five numbers of the VIN on the bike the engine came from

Last edited by hattitude; 01-30-2024 at 08:21 AM.