Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Deflectors - They Work

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wind Deflectors - They Work

I have to admit I was a little skeptical about fork mounted wind deflectors, mounted below the windshield. Well, that is gone. They work great. First I took a run along a stretch of highway and felt the buffeting coming up from below, with and without knees tucked into the gas tank. The buffeting is felt on the chest and tends to lift the helmet. Next I installed the wind deflectors and made the same run. Gone...no buffeting. With a third test I made a 100 mile run along the windy California coast. I could add 15 MPH to my speed without buffeting...alltogether made for a much nicer ride.

As for looks, they don't look bad, but follow the lines of the windshield and fit in pretty well. My detachable windshield comes off in a minute, and the wind deflector Allen bolts take less than 10 minutes to uninstall and re-install. This makes it easy to adjust to nearby riding.

The deflectors for most 1986 and up Softails are part number 58125-90B, and for many 1983 and up touring models part number 58121-85B. For the price...around $69, they are well worth it especially in the cold weather.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:22 PM
50ronnie
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't tell if you have a aux running light bar! I have a fatboy with aux light bar and bullet turn signals below (not lolly pop style turn signals). Do you know if the air deflector will mount with the bullet style turn signals?

Old 10-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 50ronnie
Can't tell if you have a aux running light bar! I have a fatboy with aux light bar and bullet turn signals below (not lolly pop style turn signals). Do you know if the air deflector will mount with the bullet style turn signals?
I have the aux running light bar and have mounted the turn signals where the running lights were, not because of the air deflector, but just to get them off the handlebars. The air deflector will fit with the running lights. My turn signals are the football style which I think are larger than the bullet style, and would clear if mounted below the aux bar.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:40 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts
Thumbs up

Agreed. They work great. I put em on in colder weather. So, next month or so. Taller w/shld too.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:42 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Do you have a pic? I am thinking to get them as long as they don't look too bad lol.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:56 AM
kbflash44
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting that. I have a Heritage I am wanting to put some on mine but I never could find out if it really helped.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:26 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain

+1 on the deflectors.

They work very well and make a world of difference.

I use them in the fall/winter/spring to keep a bit warmer, and put them on in the summer when I take long road trips.

I remember in some past thread that someone referred to them as chrome "fangs". I don't think they look too out of place on a Heritage.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:13 AM
jroad
1st Gear

Any installation issues on the wind deflectors (H-D 58125-90B) on a Heritage?

Just bought an '09 Heritage and want to install them. Am new to H-D and this Forum - where I've lurked for a while and know that it's a great resource - and will appreciate any advice!

John

Old 10-10-2008, 07:56 AM
Kibble
Novice
Default Wind Deflectors

I ordered a pair for my Softail Deluxe and they wouldn't fit - the light bar for the auxillary runnng lights is too close to the forks. Has anyone found a work-around for this on the Softail Deluxe?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:03 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain

On Heritage and possibly the Deluxe and Fatboy with driving lights and turn signals, you need to install them "opposite" or reversed in order to work around the turn signals. So rather than mounting them so the flat deflector part is in the front, it is mounted so it is in the back. The HD instructions show the deflector installed both ways, but the image is not very good.

Quick Reply: Wind Deflectors - They Work