Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too cold for oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Too cold for oil?

At what temperature is it too cold to run your bike when using 20w50 synthetic oil? I've heard that if it is too cold, the oil gets thick and there could be some engine wear or damage before the oil heats up enough to lubricate the engine. Is the true and if so, how cold is too cold?

thanks

Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

A synthetic 20-50W oil is very good for resisting wide temprature variations and doesn't thicken up (or thin out) nearly as fast as dyno oils.
But according to Harley, if the bike is to be operated at temps below 40 degree's you should change the oil (HD 360) to 10-40W and change it more frequently (1500 miles). With a full synthetic you should be fine if it goes down another ten degree's. Farther than that and you should change it out for the thinner spec version.

PS if your trying to ride the bike at temps below 30 degree's you don't have to worry about what weight oil your using.
You better be watching out for the guys in the white coats, cause your nuts.

Last edited by In Memoriam Citoriplus; 12-18-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:58 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Yeah, your probably right. It's 75 degrees here tomorrow but a low of 24 degrees on Sunday, which is when I want to ride. I think I'll just take advantage of the weather tomorrow and sit Sunday out.

thanks

Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Riding a bike when its 24 degree's out is rediculous.
You'll need a heated snowmobile suit to keep frost bite from wrecking parts of your anatomy.
No way I'm riding in any weather lower than 40 and only if its a bright sunny day.
But we do have about three or four guys around here that do traffic control for funerals and those nutburgers ride year round in any weather.
Rain, snow, ice nothing stops them from doing their job.
But in their defence they do wear heavy duty snow mobile suits in winter and have their Police model Road Kings fitted with 'training wheels' in the winter.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:47 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I run 20w-50 dino in both of my bikes. Each will start well below freezing. You aren't gonna hurt the bike.

As far as the rider goes, with a windshield, Gerbings liner and gloves, chaps and some poly pro long underwear, I can ride all day long in below freezing weather.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:04 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

I'm no fool, I know how cold the wind will be at 24 degrees. The annual DFW Toy Run is Sunday so I am bummed about missing it, that's all. thanks for the info guys.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 AM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you use any type of synthetic, you should be good for any temperature. Synthetic doesn't get like molassas as Dino oil does.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:23 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Went up to Datona one year. I begged my riding bro to wait until morning, but he said he'd leave without me if I didn't go then and there.

The tmeps dropped way down, below 30, and we kept having to stop because we were cold. Got to the point at about 3 A.M., maybe 20 miles outisde of New Smyrna, and we simply couldn't go on. We parked the bikes next to each other kickstands in, made a teepee, threw a tarp over the top of them, his air matress on the ground, and our sleeping bags on top of that. It was kind of a squeeze, but we managed to warm up somewhat with the heat from the engines and all.

Woke up in the morning with frost on the ground. Never expected that it would get that cold. By the afternoon, it was 70 degrees out. Didn't drop below 55 the rest of the time we were there.

Dressers do way better in the cold than softails do. All that heat that everyone complains about all summer? When it's that cold out, you're glad. WIndshields and fairings dont hurt either. I could ride the RKC all day long in that weather. But the Softail? No way. Course, in Florida, it's one week a year or so.

Most importantly, cover all exposed skin. All. Get a balaclava, goggles, bandana, whatever, but leave no skin exposed. IF it gets really cold, an old biker told me you can use trash bags, and newspaper wadded up for insulation. Sweatpants work better than long johns till you have to use the restroom. Tie your pants legs down with bandanas and the wind won't come up them and freeze your legs. Most 7/11 stores have those cotton gloves for yardwork for like a buck, and they work wonders under your leather.

Most of this is for when you find yourself caught out in it unprepared. But it works in a pinch, at leasst till you get to someplace where you can stay warm and survive. I've slept in rest stop area bathrooms before, using the hand dryer for heat. It works when there's no options.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:59 AM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Your correct regarding softail vs. touring. I have both (Fat Boy and Ultra). Love the Fat Boy for summer riding, but can't beat that Ultra for staying warm come winter.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:34 AM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Not sure what the softail vs. touring has to do with staying warm other than the fairing. But if you have a windshield on a softail, doesn't seem it would be any different than a road king. Cool story though.

Quick Reply: Too cold for oil?