Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk me into a Softail

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:47 AM
ArizonaFalconer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk me into a Softail

All,

I am finally going to get my chance to upgrade! My wife agreed that we could get a new bike in a month or so, so I am trading in the sportster and I'm looking for a bigger bike. I am a big guy, 6'2" tall, over 350lbs, but I've been as low as 295 in the last couple years, and I'll likely be back in that range in the next year or so. I ride solo 95% of the time, I commute 47 miles one-way to work four days a week. I plan on eventually doing a little two-up riding with my wife, but this bike is primarily going to be for solo.

I've always wanted a fatboy, if I was just walking in and buying a new bike, it would be the Fatboy Lo or the Second Choice of the Fatboy, but I'm not sure I want to pay MSRP + all the extra fees to get one, so I'm looking at used bikes (Primarily 2007 or later bikes) I'm going to the dealer today to test ride a 2006 Road King Custom, and a 2008 Fatboy, There is also a 2007 Heritage that I've looked at.

I'm posting this thread because I want to hear why you guys would choose a softail over a touring, and I'm going to post the exact same thing, but touring over softail, becuase I can look at statistics and pictures all day long, I can even take a few short test rides, and still not be as educated as I like to be on which one is for me.

I'll start by explaining what my likes and dislikes with the three bikes I've looked at:

2006 Road King Custom

+ Big, comfortable seat
+ Mini-Apes make for a very comfortable riding position
+ I like the leather covered hard-bags, and the way the exhaust sits under them
- 88" vs 96"
- 5 speed (I'm already looking for 6th on my sportster)
+- Engine Guard (Not really sure if I'm a fan of these or not)
- no 200 back tire
+ mini turn signal setup in back

Notes:
This is a RK Custom, so it doesnt have all the dresser extra bars, I like that. I just can't seem to like the dresser bikes, I don't like the fender lights, extra guards all over, etc, but I am a fan of the full size saddlebags. If it is a roadking, I think the custom is the one for me. I'm just concerned that with the fact that I go 80mph for 60 or so miles of my daily commute, the 5 speed will lower my economy, and keep me reaching for 6th all the time.

2007 Heritage Softail

+ Stock Seat, similar to Fatboy, They're wide, and far more comfortable than my sportster.
+ Mini-Apes
+ Saddlebags (I am more fan of the non-studded Road King bags, and I'd have to say my fav bags are on the new Softail Convertible)
+ TC96
+ 6spd
+- Engine Guard (+ has highway pegs built-in)
+ Detachable Passenger backrest
+ Windshield (I'd remove this in the summer, and put it on in the winter) (I'm not really a fan of windshields, but they are useful.
-Dresser accessories
- no 200 back tire
+ Running Lights

Notes:
Honestly, this bike seems like the logical choice, and its the one my wife thinks I should make. But not everything is about logic. I'm not a fan of the full Dresser FL treatment. I'd want to change the front fender, and probably the rear too eventually. I don't like the big rear turn signal setup, that'd have to go.

2008 Fatboy

+ 200 wide tire
+ TC96
+ 6 speed
+ Stock Seat, much wider than my sportster
+ Detachable Passenger Backrest

Notes:
I've always wanted a fatboy

So there we are. The three bikes I'm considering I might consider others, since its a month or so out (possibly 2), there might be other bikes available, but this really does describe which ones I'm interested in, Road King, Heritage, Fatboy and possibly a fat bob. I'd love to hear all of your opinions! When I go test ride today, I'll take some pictures, and let you guys know what I think.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:31 AM
wlkilmer
Intermediate

You mentioned Fatboy in your post eight time. Sounds like you should GET A FATBOY!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you've always wanted a Fatboy, you won't be happy until you have one. I wanted one from the first time I saw one back in the early 90s. Here's what I like about them.

Big enough to be comfortable, but still lean enough to look sporty.

Sitting "in" the bike instead of "on" it. (I know this is a cliche, but still true for me).

Just plain mean looking for the most part.

Good luck, but your heart will lead the way......

Shakey

Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer

I myself don't care for the Fatboy/Heritage, but that's the great thing about Softails....there are several to choose from.

other poster is correct. If you want to feel like you are part of the bike and not simply riding on top of a motor, the Sotail is the way to go. no other HD feels like it. When you ride one you will understand.

My Custom feels much lighter and way more maneuverable than the Sporty once it's on the road-Softail all the way!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:15 AM
ArizonaFalconer
Tourer

These are good replies, thanks guys.

I love the look of the Fatboy, I LOVE the big fat rear tire.

I am really excited to get to go try out these bikes, and though it may be a month or so away, maybe even into November before I get to ride one out of the dealership, I am excited to learn all I can and actually be comfortable for the entire ride to and from work for once!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:44 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Ride them all and make your pick, it sounds like you are hooked on the Fatboy and trying to talk your self into it being the right choice. It sounds like you ride a fair amount daily so besure , dont just do the dealer test ride of 5 miles or less get the bikes out and put an hour or more on each one.

I have owned a 04 1200 Roadster Sportster , a 04 RK Custom and now my 05 Fatboy. For all around use , communting, barhopping and some over night rides I have been most happy on the Fatboy. I like the feel when you sit more into the bike than on top of the bike. But my buddy has a RG and changed the seat and bars and it feels more like I am in the bike than on top so now Im thinking about a RG. IMO nothing beats the smoothness of a touring model at 70 mph on the road. If I was going to buy a new bike now and only have one it would be a Street Glide or a Road Glide , If I was going to buy a used Fatboy it would be pre 200 rear tire, Im not a fan of the big rear tire look and the shorter rear fender, IMO it looks a little metric. But thats why they sell all of the different models and we still personalize them.

You listed your + and - they are all your prefrences go with what you like and ride safe !

Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

You would look great on a Fatboy...BTW a big guy like you on a Sporty 883 is a "feather in the cap" for Harley's durability.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its fatboy or nothing for you Big John....

I think I have jokingly poked fun at your big self for riding that lil' Sporty all over the place in the past. Mang you are simply to big for that bike!!

You wont be happy until you are sitting aboard your Fatty. Why even waste your time with anything else?

You have the look of a man who would sit just right on a Softail.

Plus after straddling your big *** on that sporty for thousands and thousands of miles you are certainly way to hardcore for a Road King touring bike. Any 350# + guy can lay down the miles on an Electra-Glide.Put that guy on a Sporty for a couple thousand miles and he qualifies for status....All-American Bad-*** status John.

You are without any doubt an All-American Bad-*** John. Earned your stripes in the rain, heat and wind on yer' Sporty weighing in at 350+ busting out a 100 miles a day to feed the family?

All-American Badasses seem to fit just right on Fat Boys and Softails in general....Its gonna be just right for ya' Mang!!

Its your right as a red blooded AABA Sir!! Exercise your rights!!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 AM
ArizonaFalconer
Tourer

Originally Posted by aviscomi
You would look great on a Fatboy...BTW a big guy like you on a Sporty 883 is a "feather in the cap" for Harley's durability.
This is why I will never buy anything but a Harley. This sportster has been a champ, It dives into corners, even with an ape like myself on its back, it handles, and accelerates well, doesn't miss a beat. I wouldn't even be looking for a different bike right now if it wasn't so damned uncomfortable for a guy like me. That and I really love the fat look of the big-twins.

I guess what I was looking for with this thread is a good comparison between the fatboy, which I really want, and a touring bike, or Heritage, which seem like they might be more practical and appropriate for my size/needs. I don't want to buy a bike because I think it looks great, and then be upset that I don't have this or that. I want to buy a bike and keep it for a long time.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 PM
hotrod351
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

get the one you like, softail or other. any of the big bikes youll like after dwarfing a sportster at you height and weight. the super glides are nice. personally like the new cross bones. to bad harley didnt have a mirror set up where you could see how you look on the bike. yeah thats the ticket, the dealer could film you riding different bikes and you watch them and then choose. kinda of like = whoa i look really cool on that one but it sure hurts my a**, but looks cool.

Quick Reply: Talk me into a Softail