Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing speedometer with a Speedometer/Tachometer Combo

Old 01-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I found a wrecked bike that has less than 5000 miles on it, and has the spun aluminum speedo/tach combo. I can get it for a little over $250. That is half of a new one. It is on '08 Roadking. Tried to get the guy to let me try it first, and it was a no go

I think I could get my money back out of it here if it doesn't work. Just not sure what to do yet....lol

Old 08-17-2015, 09:41 PM
kethridge00
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bump. I have a 2000 fxsts springer. Would really like to upgrade the speedo to something newer. Mainly for looks. I'm not worried about 6th gear lights and gas gauges. Just want a functional speedo, tach, miles, and backlight. Any help is appreciated !

Old 08-18-2015, 06:02 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by kethridge00
Bump. I have a 2000 fxsts springer. Would really like to upgrade the speedo to something newer. Mainly for looks. I'm not worried about 6th gear lights and gas gauges. Just want a functional speedo, tach, miles, and backlight. Any help is appreciated !
If your speedo has a digital odometer, and I think it does, you have a couple of choices.

1. Find a used Harley combo speedometer/tach or ebay. They aren't sold new anymore. If you want to set mileage to your actual mileage, you need to take it to a gauge repair shop. It's pricey but if you open the case (there's a youtube video on how to do it) it'll save you some money.

2. You can buy a new one that matches the HD version from V-Twin. Not sure how you set the mileage, maybe same as the HD or you just start from zero. About $240 last I checked.

If you get one I can dig up the instructions on install, you have to put a terminal on the pink wire that is likely tied up under your dash.

2004-later speedometers won't work, they have the mileage stored in the ECM vs the speedo like the earlier models do.

I have one. If you want it for the tach function, be advised that it's so far out of your line of sight that you have to look way down to see it, and it's not wise to look away from the road when running through the gears. So it's kind of useless but it does look pretty good in my opinion.

A handlebar mount tach like the police versions are a lot more useful, you can see them in your peripheral vision.