Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DNA front wheel uses stock spacers....Sure it does!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:13 PM
nlando
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry DNA front wheel uses stock spacers....Sure it does!

Well, nothing can be simple.

Here I am installing my new 21x3" DNA 60 spoke front wheel on my 08 Deluxe. When ordering the wheel, I made sure to ask if I needed different spacers, and was told that the wheel required only the stock ones.

Sure it does....

So, imagine my surprise when I went to put the new wheel on with the spacers....I removed the hubcap, and line up the stock spacers on either side and put the axle through.........the wheel and spacers are too wide to fit between the forks.

I know there are others here with this wheel and hoping someone can help out with how I go about figuring out what the correct spacer I need is, and how to ensure the wheel is centered.

So much for a late night ride to try out the new wheel.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:35 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you talked to a DNA rep they would have told you stock spacers will NOT work. I have also posted this several times recently on various threads. I couldn't tell you what size is needed.....I'm running a DNA 80 spoke 21"x3" wheel. tubeless.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:38 PM
nlando
Tourer

Did DNA tell you what you needed? As far as I can see, I need the hubcap side spacer (the one that locks into the hubcap) to be about a quarter inch thinner. Does that sound about right to you?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:51 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A buddy had all different size spacers so we just picked one and used it. SORRY i couldn't be of more help. Maybe you can make a call to DNA dirctly and they could give you the correct info. I didn't compare the spacers we used to the stock sizing.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:03 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I have stock spacers on my front DNA wheels and it fits just fine.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:08 AM
nlando
Tourer

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
A buddy had all different size spacers so we just picked one and used it. SORRY i couldn't be of more help. Maybe you can make a call to DNA dirctly and they could give you the correct info. I didn't compare the spacers we used to the stock sizing.
I figured I would call them and see what they say. Do you at least remember if you used the brake side stock spacer? Did you change both?

Old 06-04-2010, 05:53 AM
Havanacigar
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used custom spacers on both sides for my DNA 80 spoke 21x3 wheel. Ordered a stainlees steel spacer blank and cut my own for the FX front end, my stock spacers did not line the wheel up properly. Measured the distance from hub to lower, with the centerline of the rim in the center of the forks. Musta did something right..bike tracks great with no issues...good luck and take your time

Old 06-04-2010, 11:07 AM
nlando
Tourer

Talked to one of the techs at DNA, and he told me that the wheel should fit with stock spacers. When I told him that his hub is wider than the stock by 1/2", he tells me he is stumped, and that he will look into it and get back to me.

Now we wait.....

Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
autobred
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im getting ready to swap in my new dna 21by3 rim also tomorrow morning... Ill post up to your thread when I drop the stock one to find measurements and any info on spacers I possibly have to buy at dealer, do the same thanks..I have an 08 deluxe also
survey says?!?!

Old 06-05-2010, 08:01 AM
nlando
Tourer
Angry

Originally Posted by autobred
im getting ready to swap in my new dna 21by3 rim also tomorrow morning... Ill post up to your thread when I drop the stock one to find measurements and any info on spacers I possibly have to buy at dealer, do the same thanks..I have an 08 deluxe also
survey says?!?!
Spoke to the tech yesterday afternoon again. He asked me to give him the number on the brake side of the hub so he can check to see if they used the wrong hub for my wheel, because these things are supposed bolt right up. I am out oftown until tomorrow night, so I will pull the disk off the wheel when I get home and pass the number to him on Monday.

You should record that number just so you have it for reference. I will keep you updated.

Last edited by nlando; 06-05-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: DNA front wheel uses stock spacers....Sure it does!