Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corbin drivers backrest Vs Mustang drivers backrest??

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:08 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Corbin drivers backrest Vs Mustang drivers backrest??

I'm thinking about a new seat with a drivers backrest for those long hauls on my '10 Deluxe.... Looking at the Mustang and the Corbin solo seats with backrests.

The main difference I can see is that the Mustang backrest constantly pivots to the angle of your back and is adjustable back and forward as well as up and down, whereas the Corbin I think only "tilts" forward and backwards and does not "pivot" with your back when you move.

Any experience or advice with these backreats would be appreciated.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:12 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

C&C makes a seat with a backrest too. That is the only one I have tried and with how forward my apes are I was unable to get it at the proper angle to actually do anything.

Drew

Old 09-28-2010, 09:55 AM
88 Paladin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the mustang seat and backrest. Like em both. The backrest does not pivot backwords when you move. It will tilt Foward.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:22 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backrest for sprung seat

I had a Mustang rider backrest on my '01 FXSTI. It was very comfortable. I occasionaly have back problems, but with that backrest it didn't stop me from riding. I traded my '01 in on a '10 Crossbones. I kept the Mustang seat. It doesn't fit but I made a gizmo that makes the backrest work on my old fasioned Corbin Gentry sprung seat. It doesn't adjust up and down or tilt any more, but it folds down and the backrest tilts to the shape of my back. It's way comfortable!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:19 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 23,632 Likes on 5,229 Posts

I've had both and presently have the Mustang. In my opinion there's no comparison -- the Mustang is by far the better of the two. For one thing it adjusts up and down easily: just pull it up or push it down. The Corbin, as I recall, as a very limited up/down range, if any. The Mustang is easy to move forward or backward by means of a large thumbscrew, which comes in handy if you're wearing a thin (or no) jacket or a heavy winter jacket in terms of maintaining your preferred relationship to the grips. The Corbin merely tilts forward and back via a hard-to-get-to screw, meaning if you tilt it forward the top edge will be digging into your back. Finally, the backpad itself on the Mustang moves on a swivel so it's always molded to the shape of your back, while the Corbin backpad is mounted on the post in a fixed manner.

The sole downside to the Mustang backrest is that it is not secured to the seat at all; it merely slides in and out of the slot, so it could "walk away" very easily. The Corbin is secured under the seat, and can't be removed without first removing the seat. My solution to that is simply to put the backrest in a saddlebag if the bike is parked out of my sight (which is almost never) in a sketchy area.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Night Stalker
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Corbin 2-up seat with both backrests. I really like my Corbin seat. I like the way it tilts forward so the passenger can mount up very easily. It is spring loaded, so it will return to the aft position when released. I have never used a Mustang seat, but I hear good things about them. Let us know what you decide!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:48 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
I've had both and presently have the Mustang. In my opinion there's no comparison -- the Mustang is by far the better of the two. For one thing it adjusts up and down easily: just pull it up or push it down. The Corbin, as I recall, as a very limited up/down range, if any. The Mustang is easy to move forward or backward by means of a large thumbscrew, which comes in handy if you're wearing a thin (or no) jacket or a heavy winter jacket in terms of maintaining your preferred relationship to the grips. The Corbin merely tilts forward and back via a hard-to-get-to screw, meaning if you tilt it forward the top edge will be digging into your back. Finally, the backpad itself on the Mustang moves on a swivel so it's always molded to the shape of your back, while the Corbin backpad is mounted on the post in a fixed manner.

The sole downside to the Mustang backrest is that it is not secured to the seat at all; it merely slides in and out of the slot, so it could "walk away" very easily. The Corbin is secured under the seat, and can't be removed without first removing the seat. My solution to that is simply to put the backrest in a saddlebag if the bike is parked out of my sight (which is almost never) in a sketchy area.
Thanks for the feedback, thats great info.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:50 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
C&C makes a seat with a backrest too. That is the only one I have tried and with how forward my apes are I was unable to get it at the proper angle to actually do anything.

Drew
Thats what makes the Mustang more appealing.... I have apes too and adjusting the backrest forward or backward I think is a must if you want to get the most out of it.