Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The only Stud on my Heritage is me :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts
Default The only Stud on my Heritage is me :)

As some of you may remember, I recently got a new Heritage that I love, but I was never crazy about the Studs. Had to replace the Seat and that got rid of some of them, but that still left the Bags.

I really like the style of the Heritage bags and didn't want to change them.

Got to thinking, why not just remove the Studs? I was a little concerned about the marks left on the leather from the Studs, but my bike is still pretty new so I got to thinking that the marks shouldn't be that bad yet. Also, as the bike and the leather ages, the little marks should be harder and harder to see over time.

I had to remove a Stud anyway to install the Lock Kit, so this gave me a reason to give it a try. After I removed the Stud, I could still see the outline of a circle where the Stud was, but it wasn't that bad. Luckily, there is no color difference between the faded leather surrounding the Studs and the leather underneath the Studs that was protected from the Sun cause the bike is only about a month old. This probably wouldn't work for an older bike.

I had to give the girl a bath today, went on a long ride yesterday and I think we hit every bug in a 100 mile radius. Thought I'd snap a couple pics of my "studless" (except for me) Heritage.

BTW, for all you sharp eyed folks, yes, the Tank Panel still has Studs. I couldn't remove them without really screwing up the Leather cause you can't get at the back to straighten out the little "tabs" on the Studs. There is a plastic panel there to protect the paint on the Tank. But, I have a Tank Pouch on order and as soon as it comes in, the bike will be totally Studless.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:29 PM
sodit
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of doing the same thing to my 2010 Heritage. I will be replacing the saddlebags with some I bought from BB Reproductions. I am currently having them painted to match the White Ice Pearl color on my bike. Like you the only thing remaining will be the tank bib, where did you order the tank pouch to fit your bike?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Looks nice. Kinda remind me of the 2004 Heritage Springer - the ones without all the fringe.
Here's a Deluxe with those bags. Did the studs leave any holes?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Definitely a better look - never much of a stud lover myself...;-)

She cleans up real nice!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sodit
I am in the process of doing the same thing to my 2010 Heritage. I will be replacing the saddlebags with some I bought from BB Reproductions. I am currently having them painted to match the White Ice Pearl color on my bike. Like you the only thing remaining will be the tank bib, where did you order the tank pouch to fit your bike?
Straight from Harley, it's the "Cat's Eye" pouch (not sure why they call it that) and is supposed to fit 09 and later FLSTC. Part # is 91643-09.

I'm hoping the pouch is big enough for my I-Pass so I can leave the Windshield bag for Sunglasses and Earplugs.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sleeko Deluxe
Looks nice. Kinda remind me of the 2004 Heritage Springer - the ones without all the fringe.
Here's a Deluxe with those bags. Did the studs leave any holes?

Yea, but they were really tiny, I think over time you won't be able to see them.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Definitely a better look - never much of a stud lover myself...;-)

She cleans up real nice!
Thanks, I love that S-100 cleaner. Just spray it down and hose it off. I had my brother (the Plumber) hook me up an outside garden hose connection with warm soft water. The original idea was for being able to wash the dogs outside with warm water, but it works great for the bike too.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:42 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,459 Likes on 21,402 Posts

I think that it's the nostalgic thing that the studs are supposed to conjure up..

Old 10-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Poacher13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better without them IMHO.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:22 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You've definitely made it your own.

Quick Reply: The only Stud on my Heritage is me :)