Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running American Custom exhaust?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:59 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Anyone running American Custom exhaust?

I'm going to sell my V&H exhaust and go back to OEM exhaust. I'm thinking of having the mufflers modified by American Custom Exhaust so I can have the stock look with more rumble. Anyone running their exhaust on a Softail? If so, which level (base, mid-rumble, or deep growl)?

Old 01-03-2012, 03:25 PM
BACCUS100176
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I've got a set on my Lo, great bang for the buck! I bought a set of the mid rumble baffles just in case, used them once so I guess i'm running the "deep growl." I like them but i'm mad that they offer then in black ceramic. Get them you'll like em

Old 01-04-2012, 01:52 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

My brother and I both have them and they work great!! WE both run the mid range baffles. Ride safe

Old 01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Bop49
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They won't take your mufflers to modify if they have cats in them. See web site FAQ.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They're just going by federal law. no one can legally modify any catalytic converter.

I have a AC modified bomber muffler on my fatty.. i think they're a excellent company to do business with. They took my muffler, installed they're system with exceptional speed and courtesy. less then a yr later i had a issue with the packing blowing out. i called them and i believe the his name was scott, answered the phone and i told him my situation and he actually remembered my muffler due to a stud being welded to it , (thats another story in itself), and he acknowledged that they had a issue with some of the bomber mufflers and as long i as i didn't mind welding a new stud onto a new muffler, he was going to send me another one out at no charge with a updated and improved tone flex system.. in 3 -4 days i had my muffler sitting on the porch for me when i got home.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:51 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a set on my Road King. I'm on the fence. Without the baffles, they are loud enough that I'm afraid they'll bother the neighbors when I leave for work in the mornings. The bike also has a lot of decel popping going on with them.

Today, I got the mid rumble baffles and put them in. The good: bike runs like a raped ape! And absolutely no decel pop at all. The bad: They are now almost, if not completely, as quiet as the original mufflers were. The tone is deeper, but not loud enough in my opinion. I can once again hear the engine noise over the pipes.

So now I have to make a decision, run the baffles and have the bike running great, or take them out for the nice loud growl they make. Or, get a large drill bit and drill out the holes in the baffles until I get the combination of performance and sound that I want.

By the way, my bike is otherwise stock, including having the cat in the head pipe.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I drilled some more holes in my baffles, and am very pleased. A little louder, more deep rumble, and still no popping. Added six 1/4" holes to each one. (they came with two rows of six holes around the circumference. I added a third row. Hope this helps someone.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:55 PM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I may try adding another row of holes also. Sounds like a great idea. I suppose worst case if I don't like it I'll have my son weld them up! Thanks for the idea.
Ps I run the mid baffles also/runs like a top, but could be a hair louder/like you want to be fair to the neighbors, especially the Chief of Police (great guy, but he has to listen to his wife also...) who lives across the street...LOL

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Give It Time

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
I have a set on my Road King. I'm on the fence. Without the baffles, they are loud enough that I'm afraid they'll bother the neighbors when I leave for work in the mornings. The bike also has a lot of decel popping going on with them.

Today, I got the mid rumble baffles and put them in. The good: bike runs like a raped ape! And absolutely no decel pop at all. The bad: They are now almost, if not completely, as quiet as the original mufflers were. The tone is deeper, but not loud enough in my opinion. I can once again hear the engine noise over the pipes.

So now I have to make a decision, run the baffles and have the bike running great, or take them out for the nice loud growl they make. Or, get a large drill bit and drill out the holes in the baffles until I get the combination of performance and sound that I want.

By the way, my bike is otherwise stock, including having the cat in the head pipe.
I run the bombers in my 09 Road King without the baffles. I put a V&H Fuelpak on and got rid of the decel popping. I have the stock air filter also. After a few? miles the really deep rumble eased up. I can still set off car alarms but can baby it out of the neighborhhod quiety early in the AM. Drilling extra holes in the mid range baffles didn't do it for me. As you said, it sounded stock.