Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam help

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:44 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by cwsharp
The gear is attached to the shaft. If the shaft isn't true, for whatever reason, the gear won't be true. So, you can measure runout where the gear is mounted on the shaft. I see that all of those videos have been removed. Wonder why?

FOUND Them...... I've added them in Post 23..

U tube don't show them anymore???

Now U have click on each link to watch them....

Last edited by oct1949; 05-01-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:56 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Could be... but the newer bikes aren't getting geared cams in great numbers I don't think. All I'm trying to do is make sure that before anyone jumps to geared cams there is some important homework that needs to be done and I think a number of people skip that step.

NONE of the cranks were 'bad' for the design that uses chains...

I don't remember ever encountering a pressed crank on a hot rod V8... or any other engine for that matter, except a Briggs and Stratton maybe... or a Whizzer? Everything was forged and turned and it was as good as the machinest and his equipment intended.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:03 PM
oct1949
Club Member

OK for some reason the Pod vids are not on U tube anymore, but I found them on daily motion..

Heres the 1st of 4 that Revolution Perf explains why there is run out on the cam side out shaft.

Go to about the 7 min mark for the good info.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7t...ankshafts_auto

Here's 2 of 4,, This one starts to explain how and why MoCo makes the new cranks.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7t...ankshafts_auto

Heres 3 of 4,,, Follow up from no. 2 and goes into detail better.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7r...ankshafts_auto

Heres 4 of 4,,,, If U don't watch any of the above at least this one shows what's going on
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7s...ankshafts_auto

Last edited by oct1949; 05-01-2012 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

I don't understand the relevance of these videos... other than they explain the difference between the original cranks and the pressed cranks in terms of manufacturing.

The 'tolerance' of the primary chain sprocket shaft is not the issue. The tolerance spec of the QC from the factory might address this or might not. It isn't the issue. The tolerance of the runout at >machined< surfaces are the only QC specs of any consequence and on a pressed fit crank the tolerances in truing are just as dependent upon the pressing activity. The runout for cams is checked with the engine in the bike resulting in the same effect as putting the >assembled< crank in vblocks but it has always been checked that way.

I am not aware of all of the specs (where they are measured) but as I understand they have all been 'loosened' because of the capability of the press fit approach which would imply that it is less likely that the crank is within geared cam tolerance requirements. That is the point that is being made.

The videos were only talking about the unassembled crank halve tolerances. Yes, the quality of those seems to be very good based upon their analysis. Still not relevant to the use of the geared cams, however... except in a foundational way (they are starting out with good quality).

Of course, I could be missing something. After 8 commercials I was losing interest.

C#

Old 05-01-2012, 01:28 PM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by cwsharp
I don't understand the relevance of these videos... other than they explain the difference between the original cranks and the pressed cranks in terms of manufacturing.

Answer..... The whole purpose IMO was to show that U can't compare the way of the old method of checking the crank vs the new way.
Between centers vs in V Blocks on bearing points.

The 'tolerance' of the primary chain sprocket shaft is not the issue. The tolerance spec of the QC from the factory might address this or might not. It isn't the issue. The tolerance of the runout at >machined< surfaces are the only QC specs of any consequence and on a pressed fit crank the tolerances in truing are just as dependent upon the pressing activity. The runout for cams is checked with the engine in the bike resulting in the same effect as putting the >assembled< crank in vblocks but it has always been checked that way.

Answer.....IMO.. The Tolerance of the output cam shaft IMO is the Whole Issue. This is why some say the Crank is junk.. While the truth is, ITS NOT... The vids show that the crank is still with-in 1/1000 of an inch, but because the output shaft it not ground on center because its not needed with the sprocket and chain cams..

But I'll agreee it not good for those who want GEAR cams as of old.

I am not aware of all of the specs (where they are measured) but as I understand they have all been 'loosened' because of the capability of the press fit approach which would imply that it is less likely that the crank is within geared cam tolerance requirements. That is the point that is being made.

Answer,, True, I agree,, But not all specs have been Loosened,,, just the Run out at the Cam side output side. Because its doesn't have to be as close as the pre 07's 96'ers because the Roller chain and new HYD tensioners was supposed to have eliminated the need of Gear Cams.

The videos were only talking about the unassembled crank halve tolerances. Yes, the quality of those seems to be very good based upon their analysis. Still not relevant to the use of the geared cams, however... except in a foundational way (they are starting out with good quality).

Answer,,,, If U listened and watched the first vid,, He stated some of the cranks were new, some used, and some that had the Chit beat out of them. So they tested all end of the sprectrum for their test..

Of course, I could be missing something. After 8 commercials I was losing interest.

Answer,, I don't doubt that at all... I also tired of watching them..

But I Wanted to learn more about the cranks in the 96'ers..
It seems in here that not matter what the MoCo does to make the bikes and motors better Their seems to be the old bunch that thinks anything new or any changes made is BAD or just not good.

All I wanted to do was learn more about the change and why it was done and IF it was a good decision or just a Cheap decision to save money and Pi$$ on us consumers.

C#

All my answers is noted above and My conclusion is that the 96'' motor crank will prove as it has now and in the future its a good set-up... As for gear cams its not as good, but the new HYD system is working better than a lot of members and people thought it would..

Last edited by oct1949; 05-01-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:56 AM
shustring
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking that I will do some planning and during the off season have a 98ci kit installed along with some cams. I have looked at the Axtell kit and have read some good things about it. They have 2 pistons avail. one a higher compression.
Any input and thoughts? Thanks a bunch for your help so far.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:18 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

Sounds like a good plan. Run the scenarios through the Big Boyz calculator to see what the different variables work out to be, and be sure to keep your corrected compression low enough to prevent pinging.

Also, check the cam profiles to be sure they fit within the ranges that you prefer to ride... the right cams will be wonderful, and the wrong cams will be expensive.

Roger

Old 05-04-2012, 02:53 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would talk to fuel moto, gmr performance, or hillside cycle, just bore your stockers