Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:10 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.

Just did big bore kit and several performance mods a couple months ago, and decided to do a few more things to change the Fatboy a little. Installed Covington 3 degree triple trees, 1.5 inch D&K tank lift, chrome hand control switch covers, a smooth chrome cam cover, chrome bolt kit for primary, and floorboards for forward controls (nice to be able to adjust foot position on longer rides). I struggled to find pics of raked triple trees on a softail, so maybe this will help any of you that might be interested. Only have got one longer ride in since install - front end feels a little lighter at slow speed turns in town. Read a lot of posts to not use raked trees, but I did not notice much difference in highway handling - maybe a little more play, but I think most of that was due to heavy winds (40 mph) I was driving in and trying to carry the stock trees strapped around my neck and digging in to my back. Drove like that for 30+ miles and thought maybe I made a big mistake with the raked trees, but then found a better position to carry the trees and the last 60miles was nice and bike handled well. Only went 3 degrees, so I did not expect much difference. I did not want a big raked out Fatboy - just don't care for that look on that bike, but think the 3 degree gives a the bike a nice subtle difference - a little stretch, but still a Fatboy. I stayed with stock fork length as I wanted to lower the front end slightly to even out frame from dropping the rear end. Was not sure about tank lift, but wanted to see a little more engine and improve air flow. Again, most of the pics I saw were of bigger lifts (2.5 - 3"), so maybe this will help someone looking for a smaller lift. I like how the lift looks after seeing it in person, and the Carlini Lowdown bars/cables clear tank just fine.

Gotta stop spending $$ on bike for awhile, although I would like to get rid of a slight torque dip between 2200- 2700 rpm and am thinking of maybe trying a different exhaust. Thinking of a Bassani Road Rage Short 2-1 or Bub Lakester 2-1. Would love to get a Supertrap 2-1 for performance (seen some really nice flat torque curves with that exhaust), but don't care much for the look.

Attached Thumbnails Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.-052912-left-side.jpg   Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.-052912-side2.jpg   Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.-052912-front.jpg   Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.-052912-rear.jpg   Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.-052912-side1.jpg  

Last edited by txphatboy; 05-30-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:35 PM
suiii15
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely love the look of that bike, and that 240 kit makes it head and shoulders above the rest.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:01 PM
tf22
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. Nice vision

Old 05-30-2012, 01:08 PM
pops2ride
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.

Beautiful bike except the tank lift. Honestly don't understand the purpose.
I thought the idea in lowering a bike is to get the profile as low as possible.
Jacking the tank near or above the headlight just kills the overall look of
the bike. To each his own I guess.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:10 PM
TRUSTNOBODY
Cruiser

Sweet ride bro! Heres mine with raked trees

Old 05-30-2012, 01:12 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Thanks for the compliments - I am real happy with the bike. As for the tank lift, it is a quick mod and reversed in minutes if I ever choose. Gonna ride it as is for awhile, especially during TX summer, and hope it helps with cooling. I don't think the 1.5 lift changes the profile that much, plus I do like seeing the cylinder covers.

Attached Thumbnails Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.-052912-front2.jpg   Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.-052912-rear-side.jpg  

Last edited by txphatboy; 05-30-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:51 PM
txphatboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TRUSTNOBODY
Sweet ride bro! Heres mine with raked trees

Nice bike - yours is raked a lot more than mine, which I think looks better on the Rocker or Night Train - what rake trees/cups did you go with? How's handling?

Old 05-30-2012, 02:54 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by txphatboy
Nice bike - yours is raked a lot more than mine, which I think looks better on the Rocker or Night Train - what rake trees/cups did you go with? How's handling?
++++1

Old 05-30-2012, 04:59 PM
TRUSTNOBODY
Cruiser

Originally Posted by txphatboy
Thanks 3 degree hhi trees with pro one internal stop. Handles fine

Quick Reply: Latest Mods - rake, tank lift, etc.