Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True Dual Fishtails for Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:11 AM
c22sailor
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default True Dual Fishtails for Heritage

I really like the look of the true duals with fishtails for the Heritage, and would like to go that way for my '09. I see a lot of Samson on here, and I know that Vance and Hines has them as well. Are there others I should look at? I am currently running 3" Rush slip ons with 2" baffles on the stock headpipes. The sound level is about right for my taste with that setup. I would like to get a true dual setup with around the same decibel level. I have seen what appears to be good deals with Samson with baffles which are not removeable. I am wondering if they would be too quiet? I also want the end of the fishtails to be flush or just a little beyond the rear fender. Would this be the 28" Samson model? I am looking at around $800 as near as I can tell for new pipes. I have just installed a Power Commander V and Arlen Ness big sucker air cleaner. I know this type of thread is all subjective, but I do appreciate any advise from ones running fishtails specifically before I spend the bike bucks.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 AM
1goindiesel
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Love my Samsons, well made, nice sound but not obnoxious. You can see mine are upswept and black but I am sure the straights sound the same.
REALLY good pipes, you will be happy with them.

As far as V&H pipes they also make good pipes, I know nothing about their fishtails but there 2 into 1 pipes in my opinion are the best on the market, great sound and really great performance upgrade over duals.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:52 AM
1 2 many
Road Captain
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
Smile fishy

There are alot of different company you could go with. It all depends on the look and sound that your looking for. I had freedom performance exhaust last year. They came out with a new design that looks pretty cool. I am currently running Samson 33" non baffled. They just go past the rear fender abit. I also have some 36" if I want to push them further back heres a pic of my 36"

Last edited by 1 2 many; 08-02-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: pic
Old 08-02-2012, 11:58 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I like how the V&H dual left pipe wraps around the tranny housing better than the samsons and the actual fishtail looks more nostalgic to me, but samsons are in the vast majority and now have removable baffles I believe.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:15 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the 33" Samsons (non-baffled) and they sound/look awesome IMO. They are pretty loud though, so be prepared. On the flipside, I haven't had anyone come into my lane lately...

Old 08-02-2012, 12:51 PM
c22sailor
6th Gear

Looks like the 33" in the Samson is the length I would like as well. Are there baffles for this setup in the event it is too loud for my taste? 09HeritageRider, since you have same year and same PCV and Air Cleaner, did you notice any power boost from a previous setup? What are you getting for mileage?

Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had Rush Slip-Ons with stock A/C (no PCV) before this set-up and I didn't notice a power loss or increase after making the switch...this was good considering straight duals will typically decrease power on the low end. On the highway, I'm running around 40 mpg. If you're going for looks, Samson is hard to beat. I don't really understand why people talk about this "nostalgic" look all the time...if you want that, go get a custom 2-1 fishtail pipe.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:50 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

V&H Fishtails are ugly as he!!. They are to small for the pipes and look out of place.

Last edited by ghostrider69; 08-02-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:51 PM
fall guy
Advanced

33" non baffled longtails here.

They look and sound great! The performance is not so great though. My indy told me I could get ten more horse with a different set of pipes, but I don't care. I guess you can't have it all.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The new Samson's come with removable fishtail tips so that you can remove the baffles or put them back in if you like as opposed to the other version where it either has baffles or not. Check them out.

Quick Reply: True Dual Fishtails for Heritage