Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scary head temps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Eric03Cobra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary head temps?

2013 Breakout with about 1500 miles on it.
At 1000 miles, I switched over to Mobile 1 20w-50.
Normally, the power vision reads about 260 out on the highway. Normal temps have been about 80-87 (past few weeks).
I don't have an oil temp gauge because they are apparently on back order for the breakout.

Last night, I put a fork bag on below the headlight.

Today, I had to run an errand and was shocked at the temps on the power vision.

Outside temp is 93, so it is a little warmer than normal (although this is summer time normal temp for Missouri).

Running on the highway, the bike averaged 285 to 295.
In town (lots of stoplights) it spiked to 347.

When I got done with my errand and was getting ready to head home, the bike had dropped to 215.

The bike ran fine, other than the observed temp.

I'm taking the bag off the front and going for another test ride.

I cannot imaging the bag was blocking that much air, but the test ride will tell.

My question to the group ... Do we have a good base line for head temps yet to know if these temps are "ok" and normal for summer heat?

I have also heard guys comment about builders saying anything above 350 will destroy valve seats. Any thoughts / comments here?

I'll update after the test ride.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:57 PM
UT-rckr
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sitting in traffic on a hot day (100) I have seen head temps of over 330. That was before my PV though. Bag shouldn't make a difference when your spike was in traffic and not moving. It's been long stated that Harley's run lean and hot from the factory.

I need to check my temps again now that I have a different tune. What were your numbers with the factory tune?

Old 06-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Eric03Cobra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't run the PV with the factory Tune.
As soon as I got the power vision from Brian at Fuel Moto, in installed the air cleaner, VH big Radius 2 into 2.

Just got back from running the same route with the bag removed ... No other changes.

Outside temp is still 93.

Highway temp back down to 273 - 275. In town (didn't hit all the stoplights red this time), temp spiked to 290.

I am quite amazed at the differences.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey I pm'd you on some info that you thought might be interesting. Let me know if you have any Qs.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:31 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know Dude, I am far from an Ace mechanic and I surely don't know everything about bikes, especially about the new Breakouts but those numbers seem scarey high to me. I am also big on Oil coolers, I have the large HD oil cooler on mine and I am very happy with it. Also, a new bike is lean and that does make them run hot. I am going to start a thread that somewhat shows the numbers I get on my bike and people can compare their bikes build to mine and their numbers to mine. Keep us posted, I am curious to see what you find out.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:39 PM
knightenforcer
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric03Cobra
Didn't run the PV with the factory Tune.
As soon as I got the power vision from Brian at Fuel Moto, in installed the air cleaner, VH big Radius 2 into 2.

Just got back from running the same route with the bag removed ... No other changes.

Outside temp is still 93.

Highway temp back down to 273 - 275. In town (didn't hit all the stoplights red this time), temp spiked to 290.

From what I gather with your post, the fork bag could def have blocked some air flow to the motor. Let fuel moto know, maybe they can tweak the map a little to make it run less hot.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:00 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like Harleychondria

Old 06-28-2013, 05:30 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric03Cobra

Me too. Makes we wonder how much of a difference a large front tire and fender make, compared to a small and skinny one.

Do you have a photo of the fork bag mounted on the bike, to show the location and size?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:32 AM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me be the first of surely many that will suggest a FCS from wardspartswerks.com these little fans mount behind your horn and blow a directed stream of air right through your heads, where the heat is being produced. Your temps will not really get any higher during stop-and-go traffic as on the road, and you can put your fork bag back on. I have them on my heritage, with a fork bag, they're not just for baggers! They look really good, like they belong there. Quality is out of this world, here is the link where he used this forum during development: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/713596-built-the-best-engine-cooling-system-again.html

Last edited by tryus; 06-28-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:32 PM
newoldschool
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STANDARD mobil 1 is not for motorcycles. it's for cars!! I.E. liquid cooled engine not air cooled. you NEED to run a MOTORCYCLE oil. or you are going to harm your engine. stressing this so you don't harm your bike any further.

Quick Reply: Scary head temps?