Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick detach hard saddlebags? Fatboy Lo

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Wabbit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Quick detach hard saddlebags? Fatboy Lo

Hey folks, I have a 2011 Fatboy Lo and I have the docking points for the Harley quick detach leather saddlebags. Each bag locks onto the mounts and there is a sort of arm that locks onto a mount point down by the passenger pegs.

Thing is, I would rather have hard saddlebags that match the vivid black on the bike, but I want to keep the quick detach options and hardware I have on the bike, and I'd like the bags to fit close and tight to the bike, for a clean, minimalist look. Anyone have something like this?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-2014, 07:02 PM
ThereIsNoBall
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Wabbit,

I'm actually looking for the exact same thing for my '13 Lo! So, I can't help yet, but I'll definitely be watching this thread. Hopefully we'll dig up something nice that will keep the nice clean lines of our bikes.

What gets me is that I have the stock exhaust and my dealer seems to think that most hard bags won't fit. Makes the bags quite expensive if they require a mandatory exhaust upgrade!

I'll post back if I find anything elsewhere.

-TiNB

Old 05-02-2014, 07:48 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd probably have to make custom mounts, I've never seen them, I would think strength and flexing would be a problem. With the factory exhaust, a hard bag would hang too low.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:41 PM
ThereIsNoBall
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm definitely starting to see that an OEM solution for this doesn't seem to be happening.

Maybe the Locking Leather Covered Rigid Saddlebags for Softail Models-53061-00B with a Ghost bracket or Easy bracket would work... if that is even a possibility.

Or the Hardstreet Slimbags with their own quick release bracket system?

I dunno. Either way, I can't seem to find a way for the HD quick detach system to work out-of-the-box. Hopefully others have better ideas.

Still looking!
-TiNB

Old 05-03-2014, 04:13 PM
rbeamj
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There isn't an OEM solution. There is a company that makes aftermarket brackets to fit factory RK hard bags into the softail but for the life of me I can't remember it.

If you do find a suction I would be interested in your current setup so I can install it on my factory heritage bags.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Wabbit
Tourer

Originally Posted by rbeamj
There isn't an OEM solution. There is a company that makes aftermarket brackets to fit factory RK hard bags into the softail but for the life of me I can't remember it.

If you do find a suction I would be interested in your current setup so I can install it on my factory heritage bags.
If I find something to replace my current bags, I'll let you know!

I wonder if they could use the hard shell side that faces my bike, remove the leather sections and build fiberglass off the hard section?

Old 05-03-2014, 09:14 PM
wildman926
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rbeamj

They are on Ebay. However, the brackets have arms that go under the hard bag for support. There are 3 mounting points as what the OP described. They can be taken off in about 10 minutes. I have them on my bike.

HERE is the link to them on Ebay.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:28 PM
wildman926
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Josewales

HERE is a posting in a thread here with the above pics.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Wabbit
Tourer

Wildman, those look like it might work, thanks! Just not sure they will work with my pipes.
So I guess they work with whatever hard saddlebags you get?

Old 05-03-2014, 09:57 PM
wildman926
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Wabbit
Wildman, those look like it might work, thanks! Just not sure they will work with my pipes.
So I guess they work with whatever hard saddlebags you get?
My hard bags are off of a Road King. Any touring bags will work with the brackets. If you would like, I can detach one and take a pic for you.

Quick Reply: Quick detach hard saddlebags? Fatboy Lo