Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Sportster Engine Temperature Sensor (ET Sensor)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:39 AM
monishrpatel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Sportster Engine Temperature Sensor (ET Sensor)

I own a HD superlow xl883l 2013 and have got an error code P0118. Upon contacting workshop they feel its an issue with ET sensor or the wire connecting from sensor to ECM.
I was wondering where to ET sensor is located and could'nt find it though. Workshop claims its between the two cylinders in Sportster models.
Can anyone help me locating it.
Also attaching photos of the throttle inbetween both cylinders from both sides.
Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Harley Sportster Engine Temperature Sensor (ET Sensor)-whatsapp-image-2017-09-19-at-5.07.38-pm.jpeg   Harley Sportster Engine Temperature Sensor (ET Sensor)-whatsapp-image-2017-09-19-at-5.07.38-pm-1-.jpeg  
Old 09-19-2017, 07:09 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

it's on the rear head. you will see a wire, on the riders right side of the bike, in front of the oil tank, running up to the rear cylinder head.

kinda hard to get out with the right tools. follow the wire and check for abrasion of it being disconnected on the from the bike's harness before trying to change it. may just be dirt in the connection. hit the connections on the bikes harness side if te wire with some electrical contact cleaner a tiny bit of dielectric grease. see if the code stop returning afte being cleared. i had that isse with my dyne temp sensor, fixed the random codes and rough idle.

if you need to change it then you can make a tool to get it out, buy the hd tool, or have the dealer do it.

i made one here. total P.I.T.A.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...mp-sensor.html

Old 09-19-2017, 07:24 AM
monishrpatel
Novice

is the et sensor inside the rear cylinder and connecting to ecm or the sensor is located inbetween two cylinders?

Old 09-19-2017, 07:36 AM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

It's the wire running down the center of the rear rocker cover.
Sensor is on top of rear cylinder.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:52 AM
monishrpatel
Novice

Originally Posted by Ratwerke

thanks! will check it and get back.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:44 AM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratwerke

Ermmm.... maybe take the pic on the other side of the bike next time?

Old 09-19-2017, 03:35 PM
monishrpatel
Novice

Originally Posted by cvaria
it's on the rear head. you will see a wire, on the riders right side of the bike, in front of the oil tank, running up to the rear cylinder head.

kinda hard to get out with the right tools. follow the wire and check for abrasion of it being disconnected on the from the bike's harness before trying to change it. may just be dirt in the connection. hit the connections on the bikes harness side if te wire with some electrical contact cleaner a tiny bit of dielectric grease. see if the code stop returning afte being cleared. i had that isse with my dyne temp sensor, fixed the random codes and rough idle.

if you need to change it then you can make a tool to get it out, buy the hd tool, or have the dealer do it.

i made one here. total P.I.T.A.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...mp-sensor.html
Ordered for OEM replacement part.
Did you have to remove cylinder from the frame for changing the sensor or you could do it from above while the cylinder was in frame?
If you had to remove it out of the frame did you happen to change the gaskets of rocker or you just changed the sensor and it was done.
Thanks

Old 09-19-2017, 04:18 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by monishrpatel
Ordered for OEM replacement part.
Did you have to remove cylinder from the frame for changing the sensor or you could do it from above while the cylinder was in frame?
If you had to remove it out of the frame did you happen to change the gaskets of rocker or you just changed the sensor and it was done.
Thanks
did you try cleaning the connectors and check the wire for damage first? i changed it while the heads were off.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:31 PM
monishrpatel
Novice

Originally Posted by cvaria
did you try cleaning the connectors and check the wire for damage first? i changed it while the heads were off.
OEM part was costing me around $48 so considering to replace it directly.
For checking it probably i will have to get the cylinder down and if the part is faulty will have to place the order and wait for it so just considered to order it first and than take down cylinders.

You had to change the sensor or cleaning did the work?

Old 09-19-2017, 06:11 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by monishrpatel
OEM part was costing me around $48 so considering to replace it directly.
For checking it probably i will have to get the cylinder down and if the part is faulty will have to place the order and wait for it so just considered to order it first and than take down cylinders.

You had to change the sensor or cleaning did the work?
there's conflation happening. i'm saying. follow the sensor wire, from the head, down to where i connects to the bike harness. check for damage to the wire along the way. disconnect the wire from the harness, clean it, and reconnect it. after that clear the code that it is throwing and take it for a long ride. no need to tear the bike apart. if the code shows up again, then consider replacing it.

my dyna et sensor was randomly throwing codes and causing rough idle. i cleaned the connection and it has behaved ever since [fixed].

A. problem- see #3 at the bottom: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post16283313
B. fix- https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post16292667

on my sporty, i just replaced my et sensor since i replaced my entire top end and it was pinched pretty bad [in bad shape]. that sensor i removed still worked and is now a spare in the bucket-o-parts.

see bottom of post:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...l#post16142615

damaged

Last edited by cvaria; 09-19-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Harley Sportster Engine Temperature Sensor (ET Sensor)