Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about voltage regulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:19 PM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about voltage regulator

Will a bad voltage regulator make my sporty not start. When I try to turn it over it wont start checked the battery good as well as the stator (what i could check with the bike not running) anything else i could check or would it be the voltage regulator? Thanks 09 sporty 883

Old 11-13-2018, 11:14 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts
Old 11-14-2018, 12:44 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Does not make sense that it would be your VR if your battery is good. The stator produces AC power and the VR converts AC to DC to charge the battery. If the battery is good, your VR logically is working if your bike has been running. With a good battery, your bike should start so probably another issue i.e. starter, coil, or even a bad connection perhaps bad ground. Does your bike turn over but won't start or nothing i.e. no lights, etc.?

Last edited by hscic; 11-14-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:02 AM
shanneba
Road Warrior
Received 439 Likes on 365 Posts

If the battery has over ~12.6 volts, check the battery cables, both ends of each one.
Make sure there isn't any corrosion at either end especially the negative connection to the engine.

The early EFI Sportsters have issues with corrosion at the fuse box.
Check your fuses and relays, clean the contacts.

Do you hear the fuel pump run?
The ignition and fuel injectors are controlled by one relay, the starter motor is a second relay.
If you do not hear the fuel pump but it turns over, switch the two relays.
If you then hear the fuel pump but it doesn't turn over you have a bad relay.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hscic
Does not make sense that it would be your VR if your battery is good. The stator produces AC power and the VR converts AC to DC to charge the battery. If the battery is good, your VR logically is working if your bike has been running. With a good battery, your bike should start so probably another issue i.e. starter, coil, or even a bad connection perhaps bad ground. Does your bike turn over but won't start or nothing i.e. no lights, etc.?
all lights work does turn over just when i try to start it it acts like a dead battery. And it struggles to start

Old 11-14-2018, 09:35 AM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shanneba
If the battery has over ~12.6 volts, check the battery cables, both ends of each one.
Make sure there isn't any corrosion at either end especially the negative connection to the engine.

The ignition and fuel injectors are controlled by one relay, the starter motor is a second relay.
ill check the fuses and relays

Old 11-14-2018, 10:08 AM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shanneba

Also its around 12.2
when i try to start it smoke comes out around the intake and it smells like fuel if that has anything to do with a bad fuel pump

Last edited by Matthew Valinsky; 11-14-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:17 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,543 Likes on 3,794 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Valinsky
all lights work does turn over just when i try to start it it acts like a dead battery. And it struggles to start
Do you mean struggles to crank? Like uhh uhh clic clic. Voltage regulator normally does not keep it from starting with a well-charged battery. Of course, once running, the battery light will be on. Normal battery voltage is 12.6 or so.DC.. Most people do not realize that 12.1 is a very weak battery.
A good stator and regulator will show about 14.5 or so at the battery when at 2000 rpm. (ignore other voltage at different RPM. ) Always check also for AC when checking the voltage. Should be none. That will tell you regulator is defective. Also, check lead of battery and wire. That shows you have good connections.

You need an AC/DC volt ohm meter.
When cranking, the battery voltage of a good battery should drop below 9.6. If it does, the battery needs replaced.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-14-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:33 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Valinsky
Acting like a dead battery is clic clic clic....so if it turns over, it is probably not your charging system and probably another issue.

You need 3 things to start.....spark, fuel, and compression. Check the easy stuff first...spark, then fuel, then compression. process of elimination.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:17 PM
Matthew Valinsky
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hscic
Acting like a dead battery is clic clic clic....so if it turns over, it is probably not your charging system and probably another issue.

You need 3 things to start.....spark, fuel, and compression. Check the easy stuff first...spark, then fuel, then compression. process of elimination.
bought a new battery wont turn over still it wants to but it struggles. Check the spark plugs they seem fine not even a couple Months old. They do have black on the ends... it had a high idle problem so i took the intake mainfold and reinstalled to fix it. Fixed the high idle and Thats when my problems started to happen. What else can i check os. I checked the new battery just now and i realized that When I tried to turn it over the voltage dropped to 11.9 volts what could cause this significan drop

Last edited by Matthew Valinsky; 11-14-2018 at 03:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Question about voltage regulator