Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle/Idle cable adjustment problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:13 PM
scooter1128
Road Captain

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

yeah dragon..the friction screw. wasnt sure of the correct name. ive done about 4 sets of bars/grips for friends. everyone one of them i had to back it loose, then followed the specs in the manual for the cable adjustments. ive done carb and efi without any problems...so im at a loss here. hope you get it figured out and please let us know if you do

Old 06-15-2010, 11:33 AM
dragon78
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter1128
yeah dragon..the friction screw. wasnt sure of the correct name. ive done about 4 sets of bars/grips for friends. everyone one of them i had to back it loose, then followed the specs in the manual for the cable adjustments. ive done carb and efi without any problems...so im at a loss here. hope you get it figured out and please let us know if you do
I had the bike looked at by a motorcycle store in my area and they did not think too much of not having free play on the cables. I kept asking about the valve fully opening when the throttle is fully encaged. They did say my carburetor has an air leak and they can fix that for $220. I still did not get an answer about my cables. I’m wondering if he is ignoring it so he would not have to send the cables back or just wants me to spend more money on something else. I will try to take it to HD dealer and see what they say.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:29 AM
1985tucky
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the same problem on a 90sporster I have 6 inch risers and drags and I cant get my cables in the carb to save my life. I don't no if I should get longer ones or what.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:23 AM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had an issue like this, i ended up have to sand the chrome where the grip sits, once i pulled the grip, sanded the bar end down, it was fine...make sure the grip isnt binding on the bar itself, also, make sure the wires in the swtich housing arent rubbing on the throttle too, just a few ideas.

Old 07-26-2017, 04:04 PM
tizz440
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im having same problem adjusting my cables mine just plain not spring back i finnally got it to work enough after an hour adjusting ,then enricher nuty broke,but now it shuts off 1 mile down the road ,engine seams to hot iddle seams too low,driving me nuts had bike apart 3 times its working better still shuts off was intermittn now its 1 mile shuts off start rite up
goes a few feet does it again before it would do this it wouldnt start up for at least 20 min
but it does run very well for a mile all the basics are good tested have manual mechanically enclined or just work on my own stuff used to fix everyones vehicles,now puzzled things get newer and they just add more **** to go wrong and charge you up the
#$%@ for it,i do all my own vehicle i wont let anyone touch or work on my vehicles,so
im a little puzzled with this problem main problem shut off dies exactly mile down the road
not shut off and coast but in slow motion like a nice evan not like out of gas but a smooth just down till i come too a stop, turn off key turn back on go again,any ideas,would this be a pet **** these are new too me vacuumed petcock,tank is clean fuel is full gas cap ?
1998 sportster 883 hugger fully restored clean bike also spray oil down the side when riding fast no vacum leaks but feel air seams coming out the rear rocker box ,starts up idles great maybe a little low when cold but doesnt die lobs real nice ,i thought i had it fixed but it dies differntly each time,wierd !

Old 11-13-2019, 08:10 PM
Dagobert
Intermediate
Location: the Netherlands (Holland) _ Leiden (your 'Founding Fathers' original city of residence)
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Tizz440,

i've had something similar , with my customized Frankenstein evo.
After changing about everything (filters/gas/sparks+cables/etc,etc) it turned out to be only an automatic fuse from the main on/off switch (have no contact-lock). When the automatic fuses are geting old, they start making random contact. Usually they work fine just after starting. Think it's the vibration that starts making them work bad after a few minutes.
Check all the too-simple & cheap things first...!

Old 11-13-2019, 10:25 PM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

I had the same issue with mine, and its FI. The cables were too short. Got a longer cable set and they screwed up on the push cable, too short and could not get the proper adjustment. If it was that hard to get the cables on then I would say one or both is too short.