Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice Quick Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 PM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice Quick Please

Hey Guys,
My name is Joe & Im new here to the forum, awesome layout by the way, real user friendly. Anyways here is my situation I currently have a 1999 Shadow 750 ace, and a guy is wanting to trade me a 2000 xl1200. Sounds sweet but as always heres the catch. The outer & inner case on the primary side is busted. (I'll post a pic at the bottom) Im having trouble finding a replacement case for the left side for the 2000 model, Ironhead stuff all day long of course, the closest I can find is 1999 but it doesn't specify that their interchangeable, Also the other catch is it has a salvage title apparently was labeled as a total loss, so if it were to be fixed I'd be looking at applying for a rebuilt title, which doesn't bother me as much as finding replacement cases for around about $400. The guy is wanting to come down tomorrow to trade, but If Im not able to find more cases Ill have to pass on it, I work at a bike shop and understand the labor involved, If someone could point me in a direction of finding cases for a 2000 model I'd greatly appreciate it, otherwise Im going to be stuck on a honda & we cant have that now can we Best Wishes Guys, Hope to hear your advice. -Joe

^There is the busted cases, he said its the inner & outer cover, I know you can't tell much from the photos, but Im taking his word that it's both, I hope someone here can tell me where to buy some cases.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 PM
erbilabuc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pass on it. Seriously its not that great of a deal. The pictures arent big enough to be able to tell but it seems like its just the inspection covers that are scratched which is how I bought mine and I didnt even fix it but a salvage title just adds sour sauce to the deal.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:03 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

In my opinion just from the pictures and if that is the only damage, the deal may be okay.

I'm not sure but J&P Cycle may have the parts. They are on the internet so google them to check their website. They do handle HD parts to way back but I don't know what years they go up to.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 PM
parabellum_9x19
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Its rare that I google to find something and fail, but I was completely unable to find any cases for this bike.

My guess is that you will end up calling junkyards and harley shops all over the country.

I'd pass on this one, there are other deals out there.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:10 PM
kdichs1015
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't already, have your HD dealer do a locate on the parts. That way you'll know for sure that you can get them and the most you'll pay.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:07 AM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser

Thanks guys for the quick response all night up to this morning I've been having doubts & second guesses. Sporty's being dime a dozen isn't bad except for the fact that every yahoo with an ironhead thinks they have 8k on wheels lol which is far from the truth. I also did search after search on google with no luck, not sure what years are interchangeable, also Im a gold card member with J&P and gave them a call 20 minutes ago and I was told they do not carry them that for that late of a model it would have to be through harley's N.O.S. stock, and as Im sure many of you do just the thought of calling the dealership to price parts makes me break out in a sweat along with the words "No Officer" lol. The guy is on his way down now, not a done deal of course just to look at each other's bikes, but I just talked to him last night at 9 and he was willing and ready to come right then in the middle of the night which gave me doubts, nobody is willing to drive an hour drive, in the dark, this cold, to trade on a 12 year old metric bike that they haven't even seen or heard run..... unless theres more to the story Im not hearing. But im going to check it out when it gets here, the chances right now are looking very slim, but well see. But either way, if I have a piece of a harley or still have the little metric this afternoon I'll still come back to the forum here, good bunch of guys, which is a needle in a hay stack over the internet with all the bs that goes along with forums. Thanks again guys. Best Wishes. -Joe

Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like to me he is very eager to dump the bike. Obviously, the repair cost is more than the bike is worth and he already made the insurance claim on the bike and got his money for the loss and bought it back from the insurance company for $50. I think he is trying to have his cake and eat it too. I would pass on it, sell your bike and find a decent deal elsewhere. This just sounds fishy to me.. but to answer your question, the model years 2000-03 should all be the same.

Last edited by Gpsjr10; 09-17-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, the photo you posted has tins off of a 2003 Anniversary model. This means there may be other hidden damage if the bike was wrecked.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:42 PM
jockeyshiftjoe
Cruiser

Hey Guys,
Well heres how it wen't down today, The boy showed up at my house, had his mom & dad with him and was ready to sign the papers right then & there....didn't go down that way trust me. I had my Grandfather there who owns a motorcycle junkyard & my boss who's shop I work at. We wen't through the bike with a fine tooth comb. We bumped the starter "not to attempt to start it of course but just to make sure it wasn't locked down" not stuck up, takes all gears so theres another plus, electrical seems fine, and no bent forks, swingarm, or warped wheels that I can see of. His dad took my bike down the street and came back and said it was spitting & sputtering and that he had to turn it to reserve, I said there was no way that I had just filled it up the day before, checked the tank and of course it was full. Then the son wanted to ride it but I said to let me because I wanted to see this spitting and sputtering, I refrained from calling him a few good words including liar and took it down the street, of course not the slightest bit of hesitation, came back and I stayed calm and asked if he turned the gas all the way on, he pointed at it and said it was sitting right like that when I took off, I laughed "in the past I've always owned old bikes, the 99 had been the newest I owned before that was a 70' model Ironhead so out of habit I always turn off the fuel when I stop no matter what because a flooded cylinder is never fun" so we laughed abit and the boy took it down the street & came back grinning ear to ear. So we talked buisness, I got his bike and $1,000 boot for my little Honda, so Im fairly happy. Now heres the story on it, The 1st owner was a woman and she laid it down & her husband decided he'd fix and didn't turn it in on insurance, thats why it has the 03' model anniv. tank he bought for it, but he realized he it was too big of a job to tackle on his own so he sold it to the boy I met, the boy's dad told him that theres an inner & outer primary cover and thats all that broke won't take a day to change..."Yep daddy got confused with a big twin apparently" boy didn't have it a week, realized daddy was wrong and just wanted a running bike. So Im 3rd owner to her, and I to top it all off I looked that title over front to back and didn't not see salvage anywhere on it, apparently the boy thought because it was wrecked that makes it salvage. So Im very happy with it, Im looking at cases now at a local salvage yard, Once I get the cases I'll start the Teardown and post pics of course. But anyways Im very happy I got another Sporty, plus 1k boot, and the boy got what he was wanting. But I'll post pics at the bottom showing the bike & damage, if Only Chrome got you home I'd be set lol. Best Wishes Guys & thanks for the advice. -Joe

Old 09-17-2011, 03:17 PM
2KSport
Cruiser

Joe,
I shop ebay all the time and find lower cases quite often ranging in the 2 to 400.00 range lower cases from an 883 will also work as the only differance in the 883 and 1200 is bore and gearing that is why so many do the 883-1200 conversion. Hope this helps and good luck.

Quick Reply: Need Advice Quick Please