Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Winter Makeover

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:18 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just pee'd a little. As amazing as this build is most people, including a majority of people who are in to bikes, would have trouble appreciating the amount of work that went in to it. Looks badass, enjoy it.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:22 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

That is easily the cleanest nicest looking Sportster I have seen. With it that low do you have any clearence issues when turning?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:53 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Been watching this for what seems like a year...Amazing result! I know ya gotta be happy to be out riding it!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 PM
HubcapHubler
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man i love your bike. Best one I've ever seen. Gives me hope that mine will someday be as awesome as yours.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I keep throwing money at the screen but that bike isn't appearing in my garage! What am I doing wrong? hahaha

Ergo! It's looks great! Stop responding to all of our posts and go ride that beast!

One minor suggestion: If you're going to roll on a Zombie Apocalypse sporty you need one of these attached somewhere...

Old 08-06-2012, 12:35 PM
MattBMiller
Cruiser

Great build

Old 08-06-2012, 03:47 PM
chrisbhoy
5th Gear

Looking good man, it came together pretty quick at the end! The bike flows nice, I love how clean the bars look and that fat front end is really nice. I thought my bike was low, but you win!! Watch out for speed bumps. Ride safe

Old 08-06-2012, 07:52 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ergonight
Some observations from the first 20 miles:

1) Everything works perfectly. It starts immediately and runs smoothly. All the lights and switches work. It tracks straight with no wobbles and handles great. There were no annoying rattles or unknown noises. Everything seems good and tight.

2) It's low. Much lower than stock. You really get the idea in this picture.

It's probably an inch or two lower than stock. I'm surprised it dropped that low... we only raked it 4 degrees and chopped the rear shocks to 10 and 3/4 inches from the stock 11", but it is not a problem. I'm lovin it. The only issue is the front part of the kickstand mounting bracket that's welded to the frame does grind on hard left turns. No biggie. I'll grind that down a bit more (it does seem to hang down quite a bit more than necessary) and paint it. I didn't touch anything on right turns. But it's early yet...

3) It runs great. It's fast. Noticably faster than it was with the screaming eagle slip ons. Smooth acceleration and lots of torque. No doubt from the 2 into 1 exhaust. As I said earlier there was some decel popping at first but that mostly went away during the ride.

4) And speaking of the exhaust, the V&H Blackout 2 -1 sounds awesome. Very nice low rumble and loud, but not obnoxiously so. Crank on it and it blasts low and deep, but normal riding it just rumbles along. And because the pipe exits near the back of the rear tire, most of the noise is behind you so riding is a pleasure. No ear plugs required. I am very pleased with it.

5) The fat front tire is definitely less nimble than the narrower 19". But not in any way that's annoying or dangerous or bad. I like how it handles. It cruises down the highway beautifully and seems much more comfortable riding than the stock configuration. It tracks beautifully and turns easily. You just don't dive it into a corner the same way as the stocker, and the slower you go the more you feel that fat front end. It feels heavier but you get used to it quickly. At speed there is very little difference from stock.

6) The Mother Road Customs seat coupled with the 10 3/4" RK air shocks (zero psi) is a very comfortable combination. On the 20 mile run yesterday I didn't notice any discomfort or harshness in the ride. I did hit a couple of big pot holes and it slammed pretty hard but my *** and back didn't complain. I don't know, maybe I was too happy to notice, but I felt like I could ride for hours without a problem.

7) The small switches work flawlessly. Because they are small they are not as easy to activate on the move as the big bulky ugly HD monsters but I didn't have any problem. In reality, it's just the 2 turn signals (I don't use the horn and the starter button is easy enough when sitting still) and I am sure that with a few more miles riding it the postion of the switches will become ingrained and I won't even think about it.

8) The brakes work great. They squealed quite a bit at first but now that they've been scrubbed by the pads the noise is gone. As you can see in the above pic they've worn off the black coating where the pads rub. Not unexpected and as far as I'm concerned they still look good with the black center.

9) The small bar end mirror is perfectly functional. You don't have a panoramic rear view but it's easy to pick up and see what you need to see.

I don't remember which pics I posted yesterday and which ones I didn't so I'll just put up a few more at random.

There will be a lot more in the days ahead.
holy **** ERGO! dude i know you're happy! man she looks good sittin there. one hell of a rebuild bro. this is me stepping outside of my body trying to wrap my head around what you did.

i wish you the best with that zombie killer....lord knows youve earned it! 101 pages bro by my count....prolly have another 101 pages droolin....

Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by greybeard6005
That's awesome Ergo - I've been following this thread for quiet a while now, and it's kinda weird because I am absolutely thrilled that it's "Mission Accomplished", and kinda bummed for the same reason. Enjoy your ride - hope to see you on out on the road some day. Cheers!
Thanks greybeard.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Ergonight
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madchemist24
Ergo.....I've been offline the since Friday and missed the unveil....all I can say is wow and congrats! It looks awesome.

MC24
Thanks mad. You were right about the exhaust. Freaking awesome!

Quick Reply: Nightster Winter Makeover