Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin' Eagle ECM reflash advice

Old 06-20-2013, 12:08 AM
eazzye
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screamin' Eagle ECM reflash advice

My wife's bike is a '12 XL883L and has SE pipes and SE air cleaner. The air cleaner says it needs an ECM reflash to work properly. I asked the dealership and they suggested the $439 Super Tuner with a Dyno but it is not covered by the warranty. The new street tuner (418000008b) is no longer compatible with the XL but the old one used to be (418000008). Can anyone help me decide what the best course of action to take advantage of the SE pipes and air cleaner.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:40 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

To be honest with you I would just put some Xied's on it... http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/XiED...DK-XiED-NR.htm

If you are really picky and plan on keeping the bike a long time or upgrading the motor then the SE Super Tuner Pro would be worth it. With the tuner don't waste your cash on the dyno time...plenty of maps out here for your bike. If you go that route make sure it is the orange tuner...

Also a good idea to find a used ecm off ebay to keep with the tuner. The SE is married to the first tuner it sees and is totally useless for anything else. This way you have a ecm that can be transferred to your next Sportster or you can sell the units together and recoup your investment.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:39 AM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Use the money you're thinking of spending on the SE tuner and get PowerVision, re-flash and tune as many time as you need/want.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:13 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JeffJA
Use the money you're thinking of spending on the SE tuner and get PowerVision, re-flash and tune as many time as you need/want.
+1. Best to go with the Power Vision. You can buy it from Jamie at Fuel Moto, great (and very helpful) team.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 AM
Big Lebowski
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, although the label on the box says that it is compatible with XL's, your're correct that the new Street Tuner is not compatible. There is no canned flash on there for XL's. Perhaps this is why my local dealer no longer offers a dealer re-flash, because there isn't one anymore for XL's, yet the catalog says that one is required for an SE AC. I'm not sure I believe that anymore. I can't believe that HD would sell non-racing add-on equipment (SE high flow AC), but only offer a solution (SE Super Tuner) that is for race application only and would void your factory warranty. It's disappointing that HD is not clear on this issue.

I have SE slip-ons and SE AC and I've run without any ECM mods and with XiED's. No problems with either way.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Alot of people will say Powervision, Powervision and it seems to be a good tuner but the SEPST with cables and software does the same thing at a cheaper price. I would look on Ebay at both products and see which one I can get cheaper. there are plenty of maps out there for your exact set up and I am sure someone would help you out with one.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:34 AM
BMCsteve
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
Alot of people will say Powervision, Powervision and it seems to be a good tuner but the SEPST with cables and software does the same thing at a cheaper price. I would look on Ebay at both products and see which one I can get cheaper. there are plenty of maps out there for your exact set up and I am sure someone would help you out with one.
The Power Vision does infinitely more than the SEPST. Not even comparable

Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM
IronMan69
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm a former x14IED owner for a month but i'm not happy for my bike performance. i still get excessive heat coming from my engine on summer. so i removed it after a month of used. i go with powervision invested a little and i dont regret...i love this little machine you can flash your ecm anywhere, anytime you want. before i purchased it i told to fuelmoto that one day i plan to upgrade my bike from 883 to 1250 and they included a pre-installed program for 1250 upgrade too. i suggest powervision something that you consider.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:45 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BMCsteve
Hmm. So it has a screen so you can put it on your handlebar. I am guessing that it has a few options that the SEPST does not but the SEPST allows you to adjust every variable of your map. What important variables does the PV adjust that the SEPST does not? I am not saying the PV is no good, I am saying that you can easily adjust every important feature of your ECM with the SEPST, smart tune with the SEPST, and there are lots of maps for the SEPST. What else do you need? I for one would not want to ruin the look of my HD by attatching a small color screen to the handlebars that gives me data while riding that I don't really need. I see more and more threads of people worrying about the data they are seeing as they ride with their PV instead of just riding their bikes.

To say that they are not even comparable is a bit overstated.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:02 AM
rickss69
Stellar HDF Member

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffJA
Misleading statement...you can do the same with a SE, just on one bike/ecm. I believe with a PV you may transfer the tuner over to another bike/ecm for a $200 fee.

Originally Posted by BMCsteve
Another blanket statement...both tuners do the exact same thing.

Originally Posted by IronMan69
i'm a former x14IED owner for a month but i'm not happy for my bike performance. i still get excessive heat coming from my engine on summer. so i removed it after a month of used. i go with powervision invested a little and i dont regret...i love this little machine you can flash your ecm anywhere, anytime you want. before i purchased it i told to fuelmoto that one day i plan to upgrade my bike from 883 to 1250 and they included a pre-installed program for 1250 upgrade too. i suggest powervision something that you consider.
The X14ied's did not move the bar enough to make a difference which is why the Xied is preferred. If one depends on "pre-packaged" maps for any tuner regardless of brand, you may end up disappointed. You really must take the time to learn the how/why of fuel injection tables to realize the full potential of any brand tuner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screamin' Eagle ECM reflash advice