"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Palm Beach Harley

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 08:32 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Palm Beach Harley

I just had what is turning out to be a fairly interesting trip to a dealer. Yesterday, I was with a friend in his SUV when we found ourselves up at Palm Beach Harley. Decked out in my finest shorts and sneakers I went inside to get a replacement pair of gloves. After 7 years I felt the need for fresh leather gloves to replace the dry rotted ones that I had. So much for the prequel!

Almost instantaneously after walking in I was greeted by not 1, but 2 salesmen. I explained that I was just looking to replace a failing pair of gloves. I got the usual "what do you ride?" and a cordial enough conversation ensued. I asked if they still had a don't touch or even think of swinging your leg over policy when they responded to me "When was the last time you were in here?"

WELL - It seems that the dealership has recently changed ownership! They are no longer holier than thou and welcome you to poke prod AND YES, even take a seat on one and try it out for size. They asked me what I wanted to take for a spin but I declined because I wasn't dressed for the occasion. I tried to take a look at the new Road King Special but they had just sold the ONE they had in stock. So they took my contact info and said they would give a call when they got one in.

Two sales people in motor clothes took me from helmets to their clearance rack. They didn't have the gloves I wanted and I've got no use for $39 t-shirts. The manager eventually made his way to me as well as their service writer, all trying (almost to hard) to be as non pushy as possible. They're gonna have to sell a lot of bikes to support a crew that size!

Today I got a phone call from "Harley" asking to take a survey of my recent trip to Palm Beach Harley, so I took a few moment to talk with the surveyor. I'll be a son of a gun! They actually listened to what I had to say while I was at the dealer. The "survey" was a recount of the previous days visit, ending with a we appreciate your time and look forward to serving you in the future.

NICE!

Old 03-24-2017, 08:50 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

So nice to see people that actually listen to you. Thanks for sharing

Old 03-25-2017, 07:20 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

yes it's changed quite a bit from last year. It's much friendlier and they actually sell bikes over motorclothes and chuchkies. Jeffrey they have bike night every other Thursday, and the HOG group rides every weekend. If you are on FB look for the Palm Beach HOG Chapter Chatter page and ask to join.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:33 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Ask them to buy Daytona H-D.......please!

The following users liked this post:
uklauren (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 04:22 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 792 Likes on 603 Posts

So you went to the dealer to buy replacement gloves.
You had to speak to:
2 salesmen
Two more sales people in motor clothes
The manager
A service writer
But still no gloves.
To me that reads like the crew is hurting badly for sales.
Then you had a follow-up survey call.
Really, a survey call ? when you just wanted gloves.
I would prefer to walk into a dealer, look around and buy what i need.
No need for me to talk to 6 people trying to make a soft sell and to then take a survey call.
In fact i prefer a polite hello with i am available if you have any questions.
If assistance is needed then i ask for it, if the product is not available then mail it to me or call me.
An experience like yours would leave me feeling like i wasted my time.
I guess that is your local dealer and the previous management was less than customer friendly.

The following 2 users liked this post by im:
Campy Roadie (04-21-2017), Torky_SOB (12-05-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 10:51 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Each To His Own

Originally Posted by im
I would prefer to walk into a dealer, look around and buy what i need. In fact i prefer a polite hello with i am available if you have any questions. An experience like yours would leave me feeling like i wasted my time.
I could have said "just browsing" but being retired and such I found myself in a talkative mood with no rush to leave. The gloves I wanted were discontinued, but I found them on the web. They'll be here tomorrow, out of Texas. Have you seen the newer lighter helmets that Harley now offers? I sat on a few bikes also including a new Deluxe (not as much a fan of the fit as I used to be). I don't feel that I wasted my time or for that matter that they did! Time will tell if they are doing it right or not.

A few years ago my wife and I swung by a dealer to buy some clothes or sumpin and ended up riding out on a new Road King! I had no intention of buying a bike UNTIL a salesman I knew jokingly passed a comment about getting rid of my "girls" bike and buying a REAL Harley! I replied something like make me an offer to good to pass on, AND HE DID!

Old 03-26-2017, 06:47 PM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,346 Likes on 1,746 Posts

Sounds like the way that they treat people when they are aware that the MoCo have "mystery shoppers" coming by to evaluate how customer friendly and knowledgeable the staff is and was there an opportunity for a sale missed. JMO

Old 04-21-2017, 04:07 AM
Peej
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I recently stopped in and noticed a very similar atmosphere. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. I was in there to pick up a new hat and to check out the clearance rack. On my way out, I asked the manager if they changed ownership. He said they had and asked me how I could tell. I told him I could tell instantly because his people were genuinely helpful. I have been in there before and felt like I was an inconvenience, so much so that I would drive an hour just to avoid their dealership. I never understood how they stayed in business. With the new attitude, they should do well to change their image.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:40 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by im
So you went to the dealer to buy replacement gloves.
You had to speak to:
2 salesmen
Two more sales people in motor clothes
The manager
A service writer
But still no gloves.
To me that reads like the crew is hurting badly for sales.
Then you had a follow-up survey call.
Really, a survey call ? when you just wanted gloves.
I would prefer to walk into a dealer, look around and buy what i need.
No need for me to talk to 6 people trying to make a soft sell and to then take a survey call.
In fact i prefer a polite hello with i am available if you have any questions.
If assistance is needed then i ask for it, if the product is not available then mail it to me or call me.
An experience like yours would leave me feeling like i wasted my time.
I guess that is your local dealer and the previous management was less than customer friendly.
THIS^

I hate going into motorcycle dealers feeling like I'm wearing a raw meat suit in a lion cage. If I want something, I'll ask for it. I don't need to be chatted up by somebody who knows less about the product he's selling than I do. And calling me? No, not ever.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-21-2017 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:45 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

much better customer relations than previous owner.

Quick Reply: Palm Beach Harley