Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide lower opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 05:53 PM
harleyrider1990
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Street Glide lower opinions

I have been doing some research on lower fairings for my street glide....On ebay they have ABS plastic non painted lowers for like $150 but through HD they are $450...I'm not worried about getting them painted because I know a good painter but is there a difference between these or is the dealership just putting it to me?

Old 12-03-2014, 06:46 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

I bought the HD color matched for my FLHTC.

i am cheep

BUT I wanted the paint match to be perfect and the fit to be perfect...so I sucked it up and ordered through a discount online dealer ( 20% off)

I have seen some stuff from ebay that wasn;t so good...but I would imagine that is case by case and you can use the sellers feedback as a guide.

mike

Old 12-03-2014, 07:21 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I have Mutazu lowers that came with speakers. I got the black ones, but my bike is black too. Fit, finish, and paint match was good, hardware not so much. Speakers went right in the trash.I like them a lot and I'd buy them again.

Last edited by just plain john; 12-03-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-03-2014, 07:51 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I ordered painted HD 'factory' lowers through my dealer. They came in with blemishes. I sent them back. It's been almost 2 months since I ordered and still don't have them yet. Next time I need a 'painted' piece, I'm going to order the unpainted HD item, and have it painted locally. We have several good painters here. The cost might be a little more than ordering direct from the factory, but probably not too much more. This way I'll have a little more control over the end product. I'm not confident what I get back the second time around will be right. Not to mention, there doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency on anyone's part that it's taking so long. Next time, I'll buy the stuff online…for 20% off…and have it painted by someone I trust.

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 12-03-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:41 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

I have the eBay lowers. Some of the sellers have denim so I went that route. I truly believe regardless of who you get the knock offs from they all come from the same place. After buying the lowers, Harley hardware, magnetic door flaps, and liners I'd guess I'm about $200-225 into them.

The OE Harley ones are made of the same ABS plastic as your bags...just a little thinner. The knock offs are also ABS...just a WAY, WAY thinner cheaper grade of plastic. You can without a doubt tell the difference between the two. The knock off are cheaply made as the price you will pay for them dictates.

Am I happy with them? yes.
Did I get what I paid for? yes.
Is the color match perfect? close but not perfect.

Just don't expect perfect quality and a top notch fit and finish. They are cheap knock offs.

The thing you need to think about is how much would you be into the knock offs after paint and mounting hardware and how much can you get the real deal ones from one of the on line discounters?

Old 12-03-2014, 09:22 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyrider1990
but is there a difference between these or is the dealership just putting it to me?
The dealer doesn't set the price.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:23 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by craigffb

The thing you need to think about is how much would you be into the knock offs after paint and mounting hardware and how much can you get the real deal ones from one of the on line discounters?
thats what i tell my friends when they tell me that they can get knockoffs off ebay for $x..... unless you have a black bike, or can paint, or know someone who paints that will give you a heck of a deal, you're better off going color matched through hd. if you get them from one of the discounters, they'll run right around $500. (i paid $480 for my denim black, but for some reason they were cheaper than all the other colors, even vivid black).

Old 12-03-2014, 09:40 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

These are the Matazu Lowers I got on ebay, and painted to match. I agree, unless you don't need them painted, the Harley ones would be my recomenations. At least in my case, within a few months, the mounts have started to crack on mine. Maybe I just got a bad set, maybe not. But after THIS......... I would not buy them again.:

I also had to make cushions for the upper mounting points, and fab up my own lower straps and hardware. The Matazu stuff was entirely worthless. And I mean like, completely unusable garbage.

Last edited by bikerlaw; 12-03-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:37 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

.......... if you're gonna paint'm anyway, why not get a used OEM set off ebay ?

Old 12-03-2014, 10:45 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
.......... if you're gonna paint'm anyway, why not get a used OEM set off ebay ?
^^^ this

Quick Reply: Street Glide lower opinions