Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King not starting well

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 06:04 AM
BigDogHawg
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King not starting well

It began by not starting well when hot, like when I stopped for fuel. It's like it's not getting the fuel or fire as it should at startup. So the starter winds over a few times and I'll have to manually give a bit of throttle, and then it spits and pops a bit, then cranks. It's gotten worse over time. I took it to one dealer and they checked it out, said it needed a crank position sensor, which they say is a known culprit for hot start problems. They replaced it along with a 35K service. I stopped for fuel a couple days later, and when I tried to start it, it sounded like the crank wanted to come through the engine making a loud popping noise. I added the throttle, got it started and the next weekend took it to a different dealership. They replaced the same sensor. So it seemed to be starting ok for the first ride or so. Now it's back to not starting well, and yesterday I heard what sounded like the starter grinding the gears on a hot start. The first dealership mentioned that if the crank position sensor replacement didn't solve the problem, they would need to change the starter compensator. And said that while they do that, they might as well change the starter too. They recommended the screaming eagle starter and compensator, as that has been known to solve starting problems. That would cost around $900. I was told that I could buy a two year extended warranty for around $1600, put 300 miles on the RK, and it would be covered. Any insight would be appreciated.

Old 09-20-2015, 06:27 AM
BigDogHawg
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I found three possible solutions here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...hot-start.html

Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 AM
tazaroo
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't the two year extended only cover drivetrain?

Old 09-20-2015, 08:53 AM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by tazaroo
Doesn't the two year extended only cover drivetrain?
Nope. Covers a lot more.