Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

another ape hanger question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 12:51 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts
Default another ape hanger question

Ok, I have installed apes on a bike before. honestly its kind of a bitch to do with all the wire splicing. I decided a while ago that if I do it again, I am going to get a kit (maybe even pre wired bars). Looking at the amount of work to get to the bars on the road glide, I may even buck up and have a stealer....ahem dealer do it. the question I have is about the quality of wiring in the bars. The last thing I want is a short inside the bars. the salesman at my dealer even said that they do not carry the pre-wired bars because of issues with the internal wiring. ok has anyone done the wiring kits or pre-wired bars. Whats been the story with that. any major issues?

Old 09-24-2015, 01:11 PM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I've bought handle bars pre-wired on the inside and have had no issues at all. I personally think its a crock of crap. btw - you don't splice wires when doing this conversion. you contact them at the harness.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:11 PM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

those bars you see in my sig pic are the ones I put on with no issues.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:19 PM
RaceFace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the Namz wire extensions when I installed my Carlini's and it was a piece of cake. Just take your time, match the colors, and make sure you put correct color wire back into the numbers on the plug after you've installed the extensions. Write it all down and double check as you reassemble. I used heat shrink on all my connections in the bars and staggered the connections to make it easier to run them into the bars and back out. I'm the guy who would rather take my own stuff apart and learn about my bike along the way instead of paying someone who may not do the quality job I do......not to mention the money they want. Highway robbery if you ask me!!

Old 09-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Did my own, all connections are staggered, soldered and then covered with heat shrink with the sealant inside...basically water proof connections...took my time and have not had a single issue...had a friend do the soldering for me but we wrote it down and verified everything about 10 times..heh...

not a single issue to date...

Old 09-24-2015, 02:49 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PiedPiper
I've bought handle bars pre-wired on the inside and have had no issues at all. I personally think its a crock of crap. btw - you don't splice wires when doing this conversion. you contact them at the harness.

That's the whole point of the kits. just plug and play. if you do it the "old fashioned way", you do a lot of splicing. I am pretty sure I am getting a kit rather than splice.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Roadblock_MN
Road Master
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
That's the whole point of the kits. just plug and play. if you do it the "old fashioned way", you do a lot of splicing. I am pretty sure I am getting a kit rather than splice.
Keep in mind the cost difference. Most kits are about 4 times what you will pay if you spend a little time and do it yourself. My bars, and a roll of wire cost me under $190.00...when I looked, the pre-wired were wayyyy more....

plus, it gave me satisfaction in doing it myself...

Old 09-24-2015, 09:56 PM
dzlpwr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What year road glide are you talking about here? Depending on year and height of bars you might not have to do any extending, let alone splicing.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:50 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadblock_MN
Keep in mind the cost difference. Most kits are about 4 times what you will pay if you spend a little time and do it yourself. My bars, and a roll of wire cost me under $190.00...when I looked, the pre-wired were wayyyy more....

plus, it gave me satisfaction in doing it myself...
+1

Old 09-25-2015, 08:53 AM
jclax01
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dzlpwr
What year road glide are you talking about here? Depending on year and height of bars you might not have to do any extending, let alone splicing.

2015 and I have been reading that apes are not exactly straight forward on those bikes. While the stock bars are odd as hell, they are actually very comfortable even with me being 6'4" tall. it sorta fells like I am pushing a wheel barrel around. but riding wise, I can easily do 10-15 hour days in the saddle. I just look silly doing it. lol

Quick Reply: another ape hanger question