Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Warranty ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 09:51 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Factory Warranty ???

OK, maybe I am kicking the proverbial horse here, but I have a question concerning the factory 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty.

I am in the process of buying a new '16 SGS and the dealer is really trying to push the extended warranty. When I explained that I would not be buying the extended warranty until my factory 2 year/unlimited warranty was close to expiration, the salesman stated that the factory warranty was not a bumper to bumper type warranty and only covered powertrain issues. He went on that if the electrical went bad or there were issues with the head unit that it might not be covered under the factory 2 year, but under the extended it would.

My question I guess is, what exactly does the 2 year/unlimited cover? I know wearables obviously aren't but to say anything other than powertrain blows my mind. I've looked at other dealers, but this place is giving me the best price on the bike. I'm just having a hard time with their statements and a price of $3k on a 7 year (I believe) that does include tire/wheel coverages.

Thanks in advance for the help/clarifications.

The following users liked this post:
PaulG75 (02-09-2022)
Old 11-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Your sales person is full of ****

The following users liked this post:
PaulG75 (02-09-2022)
Old 11-17-2015, 10:04 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,414 Likes on 4,018 Posts

He's full of crap.......

If anything, the extended warranties cover less than the HD factory warranty....

If he's the cheapest bike price (might want to make sure there's no hidden charges he hasn't sprung on you yet)... get the bike and ride away!

Then find another dealer for service (one that won't lie to you to make a buck).

Any dealer can sell you an extended warranty, if you decide you want one down the line. Shop around...

Old 11-17-2015, 10:09 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Your being mis-informed. The 2 year warranty covers more than power train issues. I don't own one, but I believe that the extended warranty kicks in after the 2 year factory warranty expires. The extended warranty isn't backed by HD, but some other company. I wouldn't do business with anyone who was as dishonest as this place seems to be. Ask the owner or manager, maybe it's just the sales guy, and not representative of the dealership.

Last edited by Brewmany; 11-17-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:09 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Your sales person is full of ****
Originally Posted by hattitude
He's full of crap.......

If anything, the extended warranties cover less than the HD factory warranty....

If he's the cheapest bike price (might want to make sure there's no hidden charges he hasn't sprung on you yet)... get the bike and ride away!

Then find another dealer for service (one that won't lie to you to make a buck).

Any dealer can sell you an extended warranty, if you decide you want one down the line. Shop around...
This is what I was well under the impression of, just wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand something. This will be my 4th HD, not that that makes any difference. As for price, they are giving me the best price on the bike itself. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Your being mis-informed. The 2 year warranty covers more than power train issues. I don't own one, but I believe that the extended warranty kicks in after the 2 year factory warranty expires. The extended warranty isn't backed by HD, but some other company. I wouldn't do business with anyone who was add dishonest as this place seems to be. Ask the owner or manager, maybe it's just the sales guy, and not representative of the dealership.
This will be the 3rd bike that I've bought (provided the deal doesn't change tomorrow) from this particular dealer. I know the GSM and plan to talk to him tomorrow and hopefully can chalk this up to my old sales guy finally retired and his replacement just doesn't know. I did want to ask elsewhere though to make sure I wasn't an idiot and way misunderstanding something.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:15 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

When a sales staff lies I never buy from them or the dealership that employs them.

The HD warranty covers everything not just the drive train.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:38 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

He's just making $$ on the Extended Service Plan. They should give that to you for free for lying to you.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:44 PM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep as others have said he is full of sh!!, the first two years any warranty work is covered under the factory warranty even if you have an extended warranty. As far as I know all electrical, mechanical, besides basic wear and tear (tires, brake pads ect) are covered under factory warranty for two years.

I know you said you are getting the best price for the bike, but maybe another dealer can give you a better price on the extended warranty to make up for it. Like Hausguy said and most know that extended warranty is a big money maker for the sales guy.

Last edited by TcHunter; 11-17-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:59 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

The factory warranty is what it is for two years. The extended runs along with your factory warranty then picks up after the two year. Depends on the underwriter as to what is covered. It varies from dealer to dealer.

Quick Reply: Factory Warranty ???