Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulled roadking out to start and no throttle??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Ndoggct
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default pulled roadking out to start and no throttle??

bike ran fine and had no problems when pulled in for winter but just started 07 roadking up and there is no throttle?? handle just spins with no throttle response and i hear a click if i go either way?? any opinions

Old 03-06-2016, 12:49 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

any kids playing on your bike and pulled so hard the cables popped out of the grip?

have a look that the grip actually moves the cables....and that the cables are actually moving the throttle plate

i'm in Boston today too cold for me...saw some motorcops last night- jeez....glad I live in PHX

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-06-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:14 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,500 Likes on 1,608 Posts

The good news is that you're home and don't need immediately need the bike.
I was riding in a HUGE group of bikes several years ago and a guy riding an Ultra lost his throttle and required the chase vehicle and trailer to haul it to the dealership.

Replace both throttle cables now and be done with it.
Easy job on a RK.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 03-06-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Ndoggct
Cruiser

agreed about being home with it..bike was covered so nothing should have gotten messed with..maybe cable just got corroded or something

Old 03-06-2016, 02:27 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndoggct
bike ran fine and had no problems when pulled in for winter but just started 07 roadking up and there is no throttle?? handle just spins with no throttle response and i hear a click if i go either way?? any opinions
=======================

If i am not mistaken your 07 RK is EFI (No Carb or throtle cabels) so if thats thew case try this.

Look for a electrical connector on the throttle body (behind the aircleaner assembly) that actuates the throttle plate and remove it.

Then find something you can use to gently clean off any corrosion that may be present on the terminals in the connector & throttle body where it seats.

Then use/spray some electrical contact cleaner into the connector and where it seats in the throttle body to do a final clean.

Let dry ,reconnect,and refire bike to see if throttle works.

If you the connector has whats termed " A Fretting Issue " where contacts get worn from vibrations and moisture causing corrosion too that will need to be replaced sooner then later before the the throttle fails again.

The same thing happened to my 09 FLHTCU w-96" motor 2 approx 12k miles ,then i cleaned everything as stated above & it happened again 2 approx 16k miles which is when i had the pins in the connectors replaced with the supposedly better ungraded version.

Only time & miles will tell if the ungraded fix actually corrected the issue for good.

scott

Old 03-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Ndoggct
Cruiser

thx scott but my bike definitely has throttle cables

Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 PM
RevBlk
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts

07 is last year for throttle cables. 08 and up are throttle by wire. Check that the nub hasn't broken off at the grip or at the throttle body. It's either the cable end or the insert that it slides into. Easy change on a RK

Old 03-06-2016, 02:59 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,275 Likes on 11,144 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
=======================

If i am not mistaken your 07 RK is EFI (No Carb or throtle cabels) so if thats thew case try this.

Look for a electrical connector on the throttle body (behind the aircleaner assembly) that actuates the throttle plate and remove it.

Then find something you can use to gently clean off any corrosion that may be present on the terminals in the connector & throttle body where it seats.

Then use/spray some electrical contact cleaner into the connector and where it seats in the throttle body to do a final clean.

Let dry ,reconnect,and refire bike to see if throttle works.

If you the connector has whats termed " A Fretting Issue " where contacts get worn from vibrations and moisture causing corrosion too that will need to be replaced sooner then later before the the throttle fails again.

The same thing happened to my 09 FLHTCU w-96" motor 2 approx 12k miles ,then i cleaned everything as stated above & it happened again 2 approx 16k miles which is when i had the pins in the connectors replaced with the supposedly better ungraded version.

Only time & miles will tell if the ungraded fix actually corrected the issue for good.

scott
Even though the OP has throttle cables, the issue you described caused a breakdown on my '12. Got towed to a dealer, and they replaced the contact terminals on the connector side. Once home I coated it all with dielectric grease and put on a big chunk of shrink tube to protect it. Noticed the later models come with the connector covered by tubing of some sort.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:16 AM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Ndoggct
thx scott but my bike definitely has throttle cables
==============

AH,OK,so is it carb'd or EFI with throttle cables?

If its EFI with throttle cables as already already suggested likely an issue with cable end popping off,cable that came coming out of it's seated position in throttle assemble on handlebar or other end at throttle body or even an issue with the linkage the throttle cable is attached to on throttle body thats supposed to move the throttle plate when you twist the throttle.

No that likely but maybe issue with TPS/throttle position sensor too.

Try this quick test,remove are cleaner cover or assembly ,then fire up bike and while its idling manually move the throttle plate to see if the motor increases in rpm which would show if EFI/TPs etc are all working properly .

So if yes/motor increases normally in rpm as you manually move/open throttle plate then you know for sure its got to be a simple issue with a bad /broken throttle cable or issue with throttle the mech itself on the handlebar.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 03-07-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:14 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

I've heard of the set screw on the throttle plate holding it to the shaft coming loose.

Quick Reply: pulled roadking out to start and no throttle??