Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage and resell value

Old 04-24-2016, 01:39 PM
Cdal1
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mileage and resell value

I've been wondering at what point my resell value will start dropping with the increased mileage. So I've got a 09 rkc with 32k miles that I just bought for 9k. At what mileage should I consider trading in so I don't lose too much money when that time comes. I have no regrets on the buy and plan on riding her for many miles, but at an investment standpoint where is the line at when the value starts dropping. Thanks

Old 04-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,175 Likes on 936 Posts

Only a fool buys a bike or a car as an investment unless it truly is Vintage, Special in some way or rare. An 09 Road king just like my 05 Fat boy is not an investment....they are toys....sorry but it's just the way it is

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (04-26-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 01:50 PM
Cdal1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Scudda
Only a fool buys a bike or a car as an investment unless it truly is Vintage, Special in some way or rare. An 09 Road king just like my 05 Fat boy is not an investment....they are toys....sorry but it's just the way it is
Well I respect your opinion. But everything I have bought that I know I will eventually trade in I always try to not lose too much when that time comes, toy or not. And I look at anything that I will knowingly trade in as an investment. I know everyone is different on how they look at things, but it's just how I've always made purchases and it's worked out pretty good so far. But I definitely appreciate your opinion.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:52 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

it's harsh but the value started dropping the day it left the dealer
( compare my 09 cost me $15K cash- it was 6 months old- the buyer paid close to $23k)

just get on and ride- the time to think about selling is when you loose interest or confidence in the bike.

you will get your best return in a private party sale

there is no magic number- there are determiners like new frame, new/larger motor/ new forks...that kinda thing where an obvious increase on value from the factory exists
Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-24-2016 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:00 PM
AGSURFR
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Motorcycles are either transportation, a hobby or a coat hanger.

Ride it and enjoy it. If your are hoping to flip it start now and find someone that wants it more than you do.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:01 PM
Cdal1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mkguitar
it's harsh but the value started dropping the day it left the dealer
( compare my 09 cost me $15K cash- it was 6 months old- the buyer paid close to $23k)

just get on and ride- the time to think about selling is when you loose interest or confidence in the bike.

you will get your best return in a private party sale

Mike
I agree with all that you said and is why I bought used to let someone else take the hit.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if my bike was in the classifieds right now with 50k miles would it still go for what I paid or would it be quite a bit less.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:06 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdal1
I agree with all that you said and is why I bought used to let someone else take the hit.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is if my bike was in the classifieds right now with 50k miles would it still go for what I paid or would it be quite a bit less.
Less of course. The more miles you put on it, the less it's going to be worth, and all the harder it's going to be to find buyers.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:36 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 835 Likes on 410 Posts

I understand your dilemma, but I think you can make yourself crazy thinking too much about this stuff. I'd say if you still like the bike, keep it and ride it. If you trade/sell now, you'll obviously make a little more; but if you buy a replacement, you end up spending money, too. Not to mention all the upgrades you'll undoubtedly do to a new/new to you bike.
I take my own advice. I have one Electra Glide with 98,000 miles on it and another with 90,000. I like both of them; they run well; so I keep them.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:59 PM
Mirnldi@gmail.com
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Market is flooded bud. Your 09 road king like my 13 ultra limited. It's 1 of the hundreds of thousands available.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mirnldi@gmail.com:
Goose_NC (04-29-2016), jd05flhtci (04-26-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 03:06 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Like others have said, ride it and enjoy it, I don't buy based on resale value, I based on what I like. I will say, if I was to ever buy a used Harley, I'd expect to get it cheap. Read these forums and you know all the torture and molestation they go through at the hands of their owners, who'd want to pay top dollar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mileage and resell value