Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tar Snakes and Commander 2's

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts
Default Tar Snakes and Commander 2's

So my commander 2's now have around 5k miles on them. While riding yesterday a lot of the tar snakes were plum scary, even in a straight line.
My buddy on a soft tail with new dunlops did not experience any thing.
I could feel and my wife on the back could feel the front end sliding around.
I am 57 and have ridden different bikes all my life, this a new one for me.

When we got the first thing I did was check the tire pressure. It was 32 a little low I try to keep it around 38.
I had no issues at all when the tires were new.

Last edited by Tarkus60; 06-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

To me this is a variable issue for example my bike dunlop's if it's hot and greasy out it seems worse other times doesn't bother the bike at all. I personally think it's worse on my Street Glide than it was on my Dyna Wide Glide.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:49 AM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

We feel their wiggle all the time on our Road King w/ Dunlops, particularly on warmer days. Disconcerting for sure, never had a problem though. Do corner a bit more cautiously however when they are abundant.

Old 06-04-2017, 10:57 AM
bufbills
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Can definitely be an issue. There are several curvy roads with tar snakes in my area that I avoid. Some of them are coming loose from the road.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:27 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 623 Likes on 453 Posts

Without realizing it, you have answered your own question. "NEW" almost any tire is better on road irregularities than "older" almost any tire. The difference between one tire and another is how many miles you get before the unpleasant reactions start. My own experience was about 10,000 miles on a set Dunlop Elite IIIs. I am still waiting on my Commander IIs with around 6000 miles.

The second factor specifically on tar strips is they genuinely do soften and become "gummy" in summer heat. With any side load (in a turn) you will definitely feel them yield giving that slippery feel. Even when several seasons old, the tar strips still become uncomfortably flexible. No motorcycle tire will "fix" that.

My own experience with the same tires at different times shows that higher tire pressure minimizes the unpleasant reactions. On the same interstate with the rain grooves cut in the direction of travel I experienced a very unpleasant wander or wobble (definitely NOT the tank slapper type) on one trip. The next time I had raised my tire pressure to the max shown on the sidewall and the wander/wobble was considerably milder. I now always run my tires at or slightly above the max sidewall listed pressure. Many people have heart burn with that but there are several reasons that the highest pressure allowed is better. It is your bike, your decision.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 303 Likes on 218 Posts

I have no problem raising the pressure. I will try that next time out.
I should clarify these were tar snakes on straight highway. I get it in a turn......
Yes it was very warm 88....

Old 06-04-2017, 11:41 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

I hit an exit ramp at 55. Not too fast at all. Big sweeper. What i didn't know was it was a freaking snake pit. I just rolled off the throttle and let it slow down. Was a unnerving event at best. I couldn't move in or out to avoid them. I just wiggled my *** around it best I could. I did relax on the bars and let the tires right them selves. I've found if you force things the wiggle gets worse. This was on stock tires with 11k on them. I don't k ow if the E3 I usually run when the stock tires wear out would have fared any better.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:43 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarkus60
So my commander 2's now have around 5k miles on them. While riding yesterday a lot of the tar snakes were plum scary, even in a straight line.
My buddy on a soft tail with new dunlops did not experience any thing.
I could feel and my wife on the back could feel the front end sliding around.
I am 57 and have ridden different bikes all my life, this a new one for me.

When we got the first thing I did was check the tire pressure. It was 32 a little low I try to keep it around 38.
I had no issues at all when the tires were new.
the 32 lbs is probably the culprit I had same issue I was low on air, shocks and tires . bumped air where it should be and all is good. I run 38 in front and 40 in rear also commander 2's 6-7000 miles on front and about 2000 on rear. I run my front and rear shocks around 20-25

Last edited by svarnster; 06-04-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:31 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I should clarify these were tar snakes on straight highway. I get it in a turn......
We get the little wobbles on the straight lines too. When this happens, I have wondered if the tar snakes aren't raised slightly above the rest of the road surface and you are essentially sliding off of them a little bit. I have never actually stopped to examine them closely.

Old 06-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

I
Way too low of pressure for the C II's, I run front at 40 and rear at 42. Found this gives me the best handling for all conditions.

Even without tar snakes if I run the C II's that low handling in corners is terrible

Quick Reply: Tar Snakes and Commander 2's