Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issue / No Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 09:55 AM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Angry Electrical Issue / No Start

2010 Ultra Limited w/ 22500 miles. Only electrical "changes" are The addition of the HD Inline Connector to keep the Passing Lamps on with High Beam, and the HD Inline RUN/BRAKE/TURN connector.

Also I have a PC5 Inline to the computer.

Last night I hopped on my ride with my key fob in my pocket went to start and nothing. Bike was acting as if the alarm was going off and Key Fob wasn't around... I first thought... OK maybe the battery in the fob went bad... Well I changed that and it didn't change a thing. Still NO START.

Then I noticed as I turned the ignition off that while the alarm was going off the Speedo Light, Odometer, and Radio would flash on and off while the alarm was going off. (I don't know if this is normal or not as I haven't noticed it before).

Then I noticed when I turned the bars to the right with the ignition off that ONLY the right turn signal indicator and the cruise indicator switch (while in the on position) would light up despite the ignition being in the OFF position.

I had to wait for my wife to get home to get the "by-pass code" since my stupidity didn't remember it since I just bought the bike used about a month ago. She called me with the by-pass code and before I entered it I tried the bike one more time and she started right up.

I know that when I installed the PC5 that finding a place for all the wiring was difficult and I stuffed a bunch down in front of the battery... I will be checking there for any issues... But I'm not sure if a wire down there would cause the Turn Signal & Cruise Switch power while the ignition is off...

Any thoughts on where to start or does this sound like a problem that others have had before? Can someone point me in the right direction?

I apologize if this is a duplicate post. I tried the SEARCH function but wasn't having much luck.

THANK YOU FOR ANY ASSISTANCE IN ADVANCE!

RON

Old 08-17-2017, 05:51 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

I have no idea specifically but believe you are absolutely on the right track to check the wiring involved with the only change YOU made to the bike. I would hope this mystery problem is not why the previous owner sold the bike. Usually an intermittent problem when the handle bars are turned is traceable to the wiring that flexes at that time, the wiring bundles that pass from the frame to the triple tree. You may have two problems that just cropped up coincidentally.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:26 PM
rgrecco
Road Master

Guess im on my own with this one...

Old 08-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

I have to agree with btsom. I believe you have an issue with wiring. I would start looking where the wires bend back and forth when the bars are moved. Best of luck solving your issue.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:17 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

DO the easy thing first and check your fuses.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:24 PM
rgrecco
Road Master

Well ladies and gents.

I gave in and took the bike to the dealer after i disconnected the aux lights hi-beam power adapter and the PC5 to see if that was the problem... well it wasn't...

$180 later it ended up being the HD RUN BRAKE TURN module... Who would have thought that would be kicking power back to the radio and switches... That's why i didn't try it...

Well they removed it and installed a Custom Dynamics Run Brake Turn adapter and she is working like a champ with no more power where it shouldn't be...

Glad it was an easy fix. A little mad that i didn't try removing that one but like i said... WHOWOULD HAVE THOUGHT!

They gave the bike a good once over removed a parking sticker plate that the old owner had on the front caliper and fixed the problem... I guess $180 aint a bad deal when i was expecting several hours of labor to track and locate a short...

Thanks for the help everyone!

RON

Old 09-21-2017, 09:04 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Well, don't beat yourself up too bad...one of the reasons to call in a pro is cuz they've been there, done that, got the t-shirt. It's not unusual that this can often save money as well as aggravation!