Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curing the bobble.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:54 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,227 Likes on 3,610 Posts
Default Curing the bobble.

I know that most think the early TC bagger frames are junk. I've ridden both and actually think that the early frames handle better. I've ridden a later TC and put a number of miles on an 2017 RK plus 400 miles street glide rental bike. For me the later bikes do feel stabiler but also feel heavier steering. The main differences in heavier steering are primarily due to added trail to the frame and added weight.

I've put a lot of miles on an 02 rk (over 65000) and an 07 EGC (over 80000). I like to ride aggressively occasionally so both of these have rear end stabilizers, reworked front forks, street glide wheels and either Ohlins or Works shocks. I've obviously been through a number of tires. The RK in its final form is stable at pretty much any speed. It handles great for a bagger.

The 07 EGC has been a bit of an issue. It handled OK but had a tendency to bobble in rough curves. The bike really overall felt OK but when in a turn on a wavy surface, the bike liked to dance. Originally adding the rear drive train stiffeners helped but about 2-4 tire sets ago I tried Dunlop American Elites. When I did so the bike started getting the feeling that the front tire felt flat on turns. I played with tire pressure, changing fork damping and static height etc. I checked the rear stabilizer, shocks, even replaced the swingarm bearings and rear rubber isolators. Nothing I did helped. In fact it seemed to be slowly getting worse. Wheel bearings were good. Alignment checked. Steering bearings adjusted a number of times. The current tire is a Dunlop E4, which I've read is not the best for stability because of the center tread line, The rear is a Michelin commander. Both have about 5000 miles on them.

With the past month, either in the Dyna, bagger or tech section on this forum, someone mentioned that the stabilizing link rubbers sucked and should be replaced with ball end joints. While the RK and EGC had stock rubber links, I assumed they were OK as the RK really handled great. I'd checked them and they seemed tight. Anyway I figured, I'd give them a try, I've a number of ball end links that I use on other bikes so I picked out a pair that could be adjusted to the right length and install them yesterday.

Today I went for a ride. I have to say that 95% bobble is gone.. Replacing the stock top link and front link did the trick. Now I'll admit that the top link felt a tight and front had one end that was a little torn so one for sure needed replace but they really did not seem that loose.

I'm a Happy Camper.

If you are having issues with the font of the bike seeming loose, replace the links with a good set of ball end links.

The following 2 users liked this post by Max Headflow:
springers4ever (04-25-2019), Tarkus60 (05-14-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 07:02 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

What rubber links are you referring to? My stabilizer links (-79C’s) don’t look like they have any rubber in them.

Last edited by dawg; 04-24-2019 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
What rubber links are you referring to? My stabilizer links (-79C’s) don’t look like they have any rubber in them.
They do. My 07 egc has the same mount. I used to think that they were sealed ball end but it is really a cast rubber insert. Another thing that got me going on this was I had to replace the top mount on an older dyna. It was shot and I could see that it was all rubber.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:44 AM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm riding an 09' Road Glide mine don't look rubber either. I get the front one where is the top link and where can I get ball end links for my bike?

Old 04-25-2019, 01:02 PM
snailhouse_projects
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm lost here, could we get some pictures or a diagram? I know what you're talking about when you describe the bobble, but lost after that.

thanks!

The following users liked this post:
04ctd (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 04:20 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,945 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by snailhouse_projects
I'm lost here, could we get some pictures or a diagram? I know what you're talking about when you describe the bobble, but lost after that.

thanks!
He was talking about the stabilizer links (see circled items in photo below). After looking closely at mine, I was able to see the rubber that he is speaking of around the ball on each end.

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 04:43 PM
Musician
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
They do. My 07 egc has the same mount. I used to think that they were sealed ball end but it is really a cast rubber insert. Another thing that got me going on this was I had to replace the top mount on an older dyna. It was shot and I could see that it was all rubber.
Question I have about the link is , does the solid style link you mention transmit more vibration to the frame? If so, at what road speeds/ rpms?

Old 04-25-2019, 05:26 PM
whyrzwaldo
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Hmmmmm...I may have to look into this!

Old 04-25-2019, 05:29 PM
whyrzwaldo
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Are you replacing these with OEM replacements? Or an aftermarket item?

Old 04-25-2019, 05:38 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
He was talking about the stabilizer links (see circled items in photo below). After looking closely at mine, I was able to see the rubber that he is speaking of around the ball on each end.

Excellent pic. On thing to note is that this is an 08 bagger. On the 07 and earlier the top mount is between the cylinder heads. On 09s and up the lower mount has been replaced with rubber donuts like those on the swingarm mount.

Quick Reply: Curing the bobble.