Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide owners a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 AM
molsen
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide owners a question

I have my 07 roadglide and changed out the light bulbs for the truer white ones. Worked great in my RK. As per the shop manual, I took the fairing apart. Now according to the installation instrusctions I had to align the the fairng to the hooks on the bike. I strugle for an hour and I still think I do not have the thing right. Any tricks to getting the fairing on the hooks? Is it one of those things that will get easier with time. Frustrating that's all..[:@]

Old 11-04-2007, 07:37 AM
tkjones2
Banned
Default RE: Road Glide owners a question

Molsen: i havent had mine off yet, but there are alot of folks here that say if you leave the headlight cover off untill the very end it makes putting it back on the hangers much simpler, im shure one of those guys will be along soon to answer you correclty,

Old 11-04-2007, 08:15 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

When you place the fairing back on,place the fairing on the two top hooks first.On the sides of the fairing there are 3 slotted type rails that need to be aligned so the sides will fit up to the inner fairing.You kinda have to snap them inplace.
Its a good idea to have a helper(at least the first couple times)to hold the fairing so it will not fall off.
After you R&R the fairing a few times,it gets easier.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:27 AM
Road Glider
Tourer

I went thru this same thing and this forum helped me out (before I spent 2 hours anda 6 pack trying to get it back on[:@]).

The trick is to release and remove the headlight assembly with the green tabs before trying to put the fairing back on. Once you've done that then put the faining over the hooks (that you can see now!)and pull down to properly position it (make sure it mates up to the inner fairing all the way around).Then push the headlight assembly back on pushing itinto the retainer clips. Works great!!!

Old 11-04-2007, 08:38 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: tkjones2

Molsen: i havent had mine off yet, but there are alot of folks here that say if you leave the headlight cover off untill the very end it makes putting it back on the hangers much simpler, im shure one of those guys will be along soon to answer you correclty,
The headlight cover is never removed , bulbs can not be changed in front. The fairing is a pain to put back on but just be easy with it and you will get it.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:45 AM
tkjones2
Banned

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

ORIGINAL: tkjones2

The headlight cover is never removed , bulbs can not be changed in front. The fairing is a pain to put back on but just be easy with it and you will get it.
Thanks Gun, i was about to pull mine off and replace the bulbs with silverstars and my Stereo went belly up so when the dealer did the warrenty replace i had him put the bulbs in " no charge " i know ill have mine apart in the near future and would have been asking this same question.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Road Hawg
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had mine off several times, I took some white paint and dabbed it on the hooks so I could see them better. Keep the fairing tipped up as you re-install it,you will feel it set into place you can then align the sides into the grooves of the inner fairing,(the inner fairing is flexible enough that you can pull it out slightly to align the grooves. Make sure the inner and outer faing are pulled together and be gentle whentightening them down(I think Harley ran out of money and couldn't afford to use a threaded metal insert) so they just used the plastic and self tappers ( what do you want for 19K). Good Luck , Have Patience,It gets easiereverytime you do it....

Old 11-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Kasper
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find the trick is, is to have the outer fairing about an inch higher than the inner, push in, then down. Don't worry about anything on the sides until after you get it seated in the hooks. Once it's seated you can then go to each side and pull them apart gently and get them into position. It takes a little practice but I can get mine into the hooks the first time. And no....you don't have to leave the lights out.