Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY Tweeter pods after removing fairing mirrors

Taller bars meant losing the fairing mirrors. Liked the idea of installing Tweeters in their place. Did not like the angle using the surface or flush mount. Got two pieces of 1 1/2" PVC Conduit from Home Depot. Cut at 35 degrees on my Chop saw. Sanded and painted. Glued in place with two part epoxy. Used the Polk Audio flush mount which after a little sanding was a press fit. Just have to run a small bead of caulk around the join and touch up the paint where I was careless. The Tweeters are now aimed at my ears and not at the cars either side.
Attached Thumbnails

Attached Thumbnails  "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tweeter-pods-1.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tweeter-pods-2.jpg    "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$-tweeter-pods-3.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by TRUBRIT:
Medevack1 (09-12-2022), Ndfastln (04-03-2016)
Old 01-25-2010, 11:08 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
Ok, this is in no way a put down to mods but why is no one happy with the way they bought their bike? Is it to have an edge on their buddy's? Because it's what guys do?
Because we like to tinker?
The way I look at it, if I wanted to go fast I would have bought a crotch rocket or in the touring version a Goldwing, Valkarie, or BMW. All three will destroy a Harley without putting thousands into the motor and making it unreliable.
I love my Harley the way it is, why mess with a good thing?
Why not ask your wife to throw out all her Maybellin cosmetics and her favorite foo-foo? Try that and them come back here and tell us how that is workin out. Harleys are like women dude. You want them to look good and they want to look good.
If I have to go any further, well, you get the picture.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
Sancho
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the big selling features of a Harley is the ability to find 1,000's of aftermarket parts for it.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:29 PM
bikerdaddy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted fillers between my rear fender and bags, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. So I spent less than five dollars for some plastic gutter (pvc?) and used my jig saw and a heat gun. If someone can tell me how to post a picture with a reply, I'll add a picture. (email me at bikerdaddy@gmail.com)

Old 01-30-2010, 01:38 AM
1of2
"Moderator"
Received 951 Likes on 341 Posts

This has to be the worlds easiest and cheapest mod for a tour-pak.

I kept getting the cord that holds the lid up caught outside the lid when closing. I had to hold it as I closed the lid. All I did to fix it is to spin the bottom fastener counter clockwise two turns. Now it folds itself nicely to the left and never gets caught. It took less than two seconds.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (05-07-2018)
Old 02-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member

Received 309 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 1of2

I kept getting the cord that holds the lid up caught outside the lid when closing. I had to hold it as I closed the lid. All I did to fix it is to spin the bottom fastener counter clockwise two turns. Now it folds itself nicely to the left and never gets caught. It took less than two seconds.
Great idea and yes that damn cord is a PITA.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:02 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 1of2

Cool I got to try this!

Old 02-08-2010, 11:31 AM
dabrogger

Originally Posted by bikerdaddy
I wanted fillers between my rear fender and bags, but didn't want to spend a lot of money. So I spent less than five dollars for some plastic gutter (pvc?) and used my jig saw and a heat gun. If someone can tell me how to post a picture with a reply, I'll add a picture. (email me at bikerdaddy@gmail.com)
i'd love to see pictures and a writeup on this. if you can't post pictures here, would you email me them to dabrogger@hotmail.com along with the "how to"? sounds like a pretty good idea.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 PM
HDnutcase
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RCH
Very nice! Looks stock! I might have to try this on mine.
Thanks for sharing that.
I meant to post this as a reply to the garage door opener mod. Oops! Here it is anyway.

That's what I will do but I don't like the idea of a battery change every year if it's under the fairing. I just purchased a Radio Shack #21-100 12V to 9V DC to DC adapter for $1.50 on Ebay. Now I can hard wire my spare 9V garage door opener under the fairing to the back side of the cigarette lighter plug. I'll solder wires to the adapter plug and solder them to the fairing cig lighter terminals. I'll cut the plug off the adapter and solder them to the garage door opener battery terminals. Then the garage door opener will only be powered when the ignition switch is on and no batteries are required. The new fairing mounted odometer reset switch will activate the garage door opener. There are a number of GMRS/FRS radio car adapters available that convert 12V to 9VDC. Be sure to get the polarity right when you solder them up as I don't know if they have polarity protection.

Last edited by HDnutcase; 02-08-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: error on placement.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:42 PM
MotorDog69
Former Sponsor
Default new sponsor here, just saying hi

you guys i have to say have some great ideas here..wow

john

Quick Reply: "DIY MODS" and TRICKS to SAVE $$$$$$