Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pack Removal Kit

Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tour Pack Removal Kit

I went to the dealer today to price the Tour Pack Removal Kit, the problem was we couldn't figure out which one I needed. I have an 05' Electra Glide Ultra Classic. The one in the parts book on page 414 shows for 06' and newer, however only list a relocation kit for the AM/FM radio antenna, not the CB! So now what?
[align=left]Does anybody know the part number I need for the removal kit? What about any tricks that might help, or things you learned while or during the process to convert.[/align][align=left]Thanks[/align]

Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Drifting Texas
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tour Pack Removal Kit

I guess I don't understand those that add tour packs tomotorcycles that don't have them and those that remove them from motorcycles that do. I guess there's some reasoning in there somewhere but I like my tour pack and plan on leaving it on.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:05 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I went detachable, I put a hidden AM/FM antenna in the fairing, and I just tuck the CB antenna wire under the seat. I never use the CB around town, and I always put the tour pak on for long trips and hook up the antenna. Don't waste your money on the relocating kit, the hidden antenna is cheaper, plus it gives the bike a nice clean look when your running without the pak. The hidden antenna is available at most any auto parts store or car audio shop, for around $30-$40.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the tour pack for long trips, but for around town it would be great to be able to take it off.

You wouldn't happen to remeber what the part number was do you?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:11 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Drifter, if I had to explain you just wouldn't understand. LOL

Lawdawg, I just did my 06 ultra and I bought three different kits 53303-07,53804-06,53276-04, and bought an antenna that goes in the fairing, and also bought some deutsch connectors and pinsto make all the electric stuff quick connect also. I just tucked the connectors under the seat. It worked out really good, and it takes about 5 minutes to detach.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain

Here is a pic of the underside of seat, the arrows point to the adder connectors and cb antenna rolled up and tied off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17916/4A2C3012206F49BBA4D79224F76D9EF4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-11-2008, 10:31 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Your dealer should be able to help. Personally I dont do short antanaes,fairing removals or tourpak detachables.Eventually the tourpak will rattle like crazy after a few removals and the plastic washers start to wear. But to each his own. I do see a few guys who want the Ultra sometime and a street glide other times.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:56 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far, no problems with rattles, but there is a guy on here that makes billet mounts for the docking hardware, and he's gotten good reviews from those who have used his product.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Lawdawg--part of Harley ownership is the necessity to adapt and improvise at times. Until '06, HD didn't even offer a tour pak removal kit for Classics; in fact, the fitment guide for the solo and two-up detachable racks didn't even mention Electra Glides--but guys were figuring out how to do it; primarily addressing the wiring and antenna issues.

The fitment issue you raise is probably attributable to the fact that the '06 and newer EG Classics no longer have lights in them, so the only relocation issue is the radio antenna. As others have mentioned, the Ultra poses additionaldisconnect issues which HD has not yet addressed officially, so unofficially you can accomplish your objective using available parts. For example, you could use the CB antenna mount listed in the catalog for Road Glides if you want the CB when the TP is off the bike. Of course, you may need some help lengthening the CB antenna cable, but that's part of the improvising mentioned earlier.

Use the PM feature and the guys who have done this will be more than happy to walk you through the process--it is not the kind of thing an HD store is likely to be much help on, IMO.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:03 AM
gobblerhuntr
Road Captain

Lawdawg I PMed you the list for the deutsch connectors.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tour Pack Removal Kit