Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Floorboard Question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 10:36 AM
johnnyig
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passenger Floorboard Question.

Hi all, I bought the chrome passenger floorboard covers for my 06 RKclassic and have to take the floorboards off the bike to work on them. Anyone know what size/type of socket or wrench I need to take off the silver female hex head bolt that holds the floorboard bracket to the frame? Thanks for the help, My toolbox just doesnt have specific HD tools, mostly oddball metric bike tools and they are too scared to help me Thanks again. -John

Old 01-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Passenger Floorboard Question.

You should not have to take off the floorboards off to put the chrome covers on. Just place them over the stock boards and mark your holes. Put a drill stop on your bit and drill slowly until it just goes through. When you put the 2 screws in to hold the cover on use a large Screw bit and a 1/2 inch ratchet with alot of force pushing on the screw to make sure it starts. You will not strip out the head of the screw if you do it that way. If you have anymore questions or problems give me a PM. I've put a lot of them on.

Terry

Old 01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
redscout
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Terry about all things wrench, but if you did need the tool there's a good chance it's in the tool kit that came with the bike or included with the new parts (if the new parts are HD).

I added a chrome cover between the engine and tranny and it required a ball end hex wrench to get the thing tight, so I made one on a grinder out of an allen wrench I had laying around... It worked fine, but right after I was done and throwing the package away, I found this neat little ball end hex wrench buried in the plastic. Just the part I spent an hour making on the grinder.

Damn....

Except for the really weird parts, I've found the tool kit has almost everything I need to add the goodies...

Old 01-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: redscout

I believe Terry about all things wrench, but if you did need the tool there's a good chance it's in the tool kit that came with the bike or included with the new parts (if the new parts are HD).

I added a chrome cover between the engine and tranny and it required a ball end hex wrench to get the thing tight, so I made one on a grinder out of an allen wrench I had laying around... It worked fine, but right after I was done and throwing the package away, I found this neat little ball end hex wrench buried in the plastic. Just the part I spent an hour making on the grinder.

Damn....

Except for the really weird parts, I've found the tool kit has almost everything I need to add the goodies...

All the HD chrome parts I just recieved, come with the correct allen wrench in the package.

I removed the passenger footboards off my bike and they where a 5/16 allen head. They also where TIGHT as in locktight tight.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:40 PM
harleybob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

johnnyig, I just installed them about an hour ago. You do not have to remove the floor boards. Put the cover on the floorboard. Trace the 2 holes with a marker. I used yellow because the footboard is black. Gentley use a center punch first. Then drill your holes 5/16 drill bit. Dont drill in more than a half inch or you will drill through the rubber. I had 2 ream my holes just a touch. They were that tight. A pretty simple job. And they do look nice. Hope this helps. Bob. I should mention these are the Harley davidson covers. Some others may be different.