Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Canceling signals stop too soon?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:37 AM
BW
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Self Canceling signals stop too soon?

Just found this forum and I've been looking for a place to ask this question.

I got out for my first ride of the season this week on my 2000 FLHTCI. I instantly noticed the same thing that's always bugged me about this bike. The self cancelling turn signals cancel about twice as quickly as I would like them to. I live on a side street off of a busy road. So I tend to put on my signals early in the hopes of not getting rear ended. Is there a way to adjust these? Does anyone know of an after market unit that goes longer before canceling?

Thanks,

Ben

Old 03-15-2006, 12:58 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 843 Likes on 411 Posts
Default RE: Self Canceling signals stop too soon?

I also have a 2000 e-glide, and I've never liked self-cancelling turn signals. In 02 or 01 HD changed to signals that wait longer before they cancel, but it would be prohibitive if not impossible to make this switch on an '00. I simply disconnected the self-cancelling feature on mine by removing one pin from a multi-pin connector, and I haven't had self-cancellers in years. If you're interested, I can give you details of how to do it.

Uncle Peepers

The following users liked this post:
Clayton Loesch (08-25-2020)
Old 03-15-2006, 01:02 AM
BW
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Uncle Peepers,

I'll probably pass on actually turning the self cancelation off. I used to ride a Sportster without self canceling signals. I was forever driving down the road with one signal or the other flashing. I don't seem to have it in me to remember to turn them back off. That said having them turn themselves off too soon is probably the lesser of two evils.

But thanks.

Ben

The following users liked this post:
Clayton Loesch (08-25-2020)
Old 03-15-2006, 01:08 AM
jjsanta
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue on my 2000 Night Train. Really annoyed me. The easiest thing I found to do was to just hold down the button. It will keep flashing if you hold it down and the timer won't start until you release it. On my 2006 Street Glide I've found that Harley has made a change and the blinkers flash for a longer time after you relese the button. Much better! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-15-2006, 01:55 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Still isn't long enough.

I wish it lasted about 15 seconds longer if you don't turn. I always find they turned off right when i needed them on one large freeway merge I have to make.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:26 PM
SLP24
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Uncle Peepers

I also have a 2000 e-glide, and I've never liked self-cancelling turn signals. In 02 or 01 HD changed to signals that wait longer before they cancel, but it would be prohibitive if not impossible to make this switch on an '00. I simply disconnected the self-cancelling feature on mine by removing one pin from a multi-pin connector, and I haven't had self-cancellers in years. If you're interested, I can give you details of how to do it.

Uncle Peepers
Uncle Peepers: I too hate the Self Cancelling turn signals. Idea is great, but they turn off way too soon and like the others have stated, it usually cancelles just when I arrive at the turn confusing the people behind me and in front of me. Did I change my mind or am I making the turn? Not sure how HD gets away without a huge lawsuite because of this issue.

Holding down the button is not a safe option as we are usually down shifting while preparing to turn.

So Uncle Peepers, how did you do this? I'd rather take the chance of forgetting to turn them off, then not realizing they turned off already.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:44 PM
Clayton Loesch
Stage I
Default Dumb self cancel turn signals

Originally Posted by Uncle Peepers

Uncle Peepers
Id be interested in the details, I hate these self canceling turn signals. I have a 99 Road king. Let me know I would very much appreciate it.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:50 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,478 Likes on 4,603 Posts

The thread you are replying to is 13 years old.

You might want to start a new thread.

Old 08-26-2020, 07:32 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 868 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
The thread you are replying to is 13 years old.

You might want to start a new thread.
Safe to say the turn signals cancelled in that time?