Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lane-splitting with a tourer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 07:20 PM
CGameProgrammer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lane-splitting with a tourer?

I'm wondering how feasible lane-splitting with something like the Road King would be. Does anyone here live in California and lane-split with any HD tourer?

Old 10-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Nitzo
Cruiser

Couple of years ago I went to CA for the MotoGP. I saw guys lane-splitting on the Big Beemers with those wide bags (which I had at the time). I was amazed at how those CA riders could ride. Lane splitting is scary to me....JMO.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do. Almost every day on my RKC. It's impossible to get anywhere on the freeway at times if you don't split. If you split between the car pool lane and regular left (fast lane) there is plenty of room for the bags. You should be able to do it depending on your experience level.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:35 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Lane splitting in on Freeways no problem. In fact the the only place where it sucks is Hwy 39 Beach Blvd. Usually I drive I-5 from Oc to Downtown LA.
My SG is easier than the XL because of the balance. Just use common sense and thank the guys that open up the lane for you.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:35 PM
spizzyman
Road Master

I dont' even know if it is legal in WA. State. Is it?

Yes, it kinda scares me too.

spiz

Old 10-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds dangerous to me but I don't line in CA.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:38 PM
skykingFLHTCU
Tourer

I do it sometimes if room pernits.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Nitzo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SurfCityBagger
I do. Almost every day on my RKC. It's impossible to get anywhere on the freeway at times if you don't split. If you split between the car pool lane and regular left (fast lane) there is plenty of room for the bags. You should be able to do it depending on your experience level.
l

I was wondering.....As I said, I had seen it when I was out there (in CA). Do you have people that try to move over on you as they see you coming along in their mirrors? Do they throw cigarettes on you? Do they spit on you? I'm thinking, here in FL, cagers don't like it.....You are on your own here.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:48 PM
sickwithit
Road Captain

Theirs 2 guys with bagger that ride with me. We split lanes all the time. Usually it me or one of my other bros on a dyna or sporty opening up the lane. Just don't go so fast where you can't react to a car cutting in. I try to keep my rpm high that way the cars can hear my bike coming. Any body that live's in So Cal knows you have to split lanes to get around. Or else you will be sitting in traffic with you bike overheating. Just be carefull.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:50 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

There will be occasion when some one will come over to block the way, I just think Karma. But for every %%$hole that comes over there are 100's that will open up. Cigarettes, spit never heard of it. In California its the law.

Also if you split Car Pool and number 1 lane(fast) DO NOT CROSS THE DOUBLE DOUBLE.

Quick Reply: Lane-splitting with a tourer?