Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fairing bracket

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Harley99
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When i done mine they were all broke,perty easy job i thought

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Jerm21
Tourer

I have the same question as SC_Compact, how did you know it broke? Also, how many miles when you checked it/noticed it?

Thanks!

- Jerm

Old 09-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Chainman
Tourer

Try and shake your fairing about speaker high if it moves then your probably have at least one broken bracket. Mine were broken and I made and angle repair bracket all seems to be good for now

Old 09-03-2009, 08:06 PM
ddwyer
Tourer

Its really quite evident when the larger bracket breaks. At idle your fairing sounds like it's not tightened all the way, and there is a bad vibration. It also might sound like your windshield is not tightened up when riding.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:47 PM
crow49
Intermediate
Default fairing bracket

If your brackets are broken you can tell by at a red light hold your front brake on and if the brackets are broken then your fairing will shake and you will not be able to see anything in your mirrors and you can hear a noise in your fairing

Old 09-04-2009, 02:28 AM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a manual. You will use it many times.

I have replaced two brackets. Someone mentioned 4? Are there jsut the two (one on each side) under the speakers?

Old 09-04-2009, 05:41 AM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vbx07
If your talking about the large black bracket, just get a 90 degree galvinized elbow at the hardware store and drill three hole's one hole to bolt to inner fairing and two on the flat black bracket bolt it up and you never have to worry about it. If you do a search I'm sure there is a thread on this.
This is what I did. It didn't make sense to replace a poorly engineered part with another poorly engineered part. Get the L bracket with pre-drilled holes. Get some stainless fasteners. The only hole I had to drill was in the broken bracket.

I've had the L Brackets on for a year and a half - no problems.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:27 AM
roaddog01
Stage III
Default Thanks

I am going to change the fairing bracket the first time I get a chance. After I read your comments I think I can tackle it fairly easy. And yes , this makes the seventh time the same bracket has broke. The first three under warranty. I called harley when it broke again and they said it was probably something I did, like change the pipes??? Don't make any sense but I guess they didn't want to admit it is a cheap design.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:20 PM
J-Dub
Stage I

BE CAREFUL!...If you think your brackets are cracked, don't wait too long to get them repaired, it could lead to other problems! Mine have broken twice on my '07 Streetglide, and each time the excess vibration caused wires to rub through and short out on the brackets...the first time I lost my brake lights and horn...the second time led to an intermittent "No start" problem.

The first time I had the Dealer replace the brackets (under warranty) and they repaired the wiring. This time I did the work myself (just finished tonite)...removed the brackets, had them welded, also had support gussets welded onto them at the top (they should be bulletproof now!) and repaired the bad wire myself...wasn't too hard of a fix, just take your time and pay attention to what you're doin.

Earlier this week, the Service Mgr. at my local dealer told me that Harley did come out with an upgraded bracket, however they have only installed a few sets so far and they don't know if it's a sure fix or not, and they didn't have any in stock nor did they know when they would be getting any in...that's why I opted to have mine welded.