Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Project Final Write-Up

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:24 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up atrain. I'm assuming you changed the inner cam bearings since you got/used the tool. I didn't see the B168 Timken bearings listed in your parts/cost post. Might want to add those in there just in case someone uses the list as their shopping list.

I think you're going to like the TW6-6 cams. I put a set in my FLHTCU last week and I am really happy with the way the bike runs now. The difference can really be felt when riding two up.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:51 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great job. Very usefull information.
Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:56 AM
palatium
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

im about 8 hrs away from doing my cams , wish me luck , 1st time ever getting into a engine...
Im gonna follows Atrains stuff to the letter and alilhelp from the manual, but nonetheless its gonna be fun.

happy new year fellows

Old 01-01-2010, 07:37 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by palatium
im about 8 hrs away from doing my cams , wish me luck , 1st time ever getting into a engine...
Im gonna follows Atrains stuff to the letter and alilhelp from the manual, but nonetheless its gonna be fun.

happy new year fellows
Make sure you do a little writeup of your experience after you are done. I know a lot of us are enjoying these reviews.

Old 01-01-2010, 08:08 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

atrain, hurry and do the same for a big bore. Excellent write up and congrats on a good job.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:20 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RDM
Nice write up atrain. I'm assuming you changed the inner cam bearings since you got/used the tool. I didn't see the B168 Timken bearings listed in your parts/cost post. Might want to add those in there just in case someone uses the list as their shopping list.

I think you're going to like the TW6-6 cams. I put a set in my FLHTCU last week and I am really happy with the way the bike runs now. The difference can really be felt when riding two up.
Yes, I used the Torrington B168 bearings and I think I bundled them with the $50 total cost for the orings, gasket, and bearing cost for $50 all together. I think the bearings were $15 - very inexpensive.

The worst thing about this winter project is the winter part. It's well below freezing this morning and there is lots of salt on the road with a few icy patches.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:28 AM
atrain68
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
atrain, hurry and do the same for a big bore. Excellent write up and congrats on a good job.
You see? This is how new projects start!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:32 AM
StreetKing
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks atrain68 for the info, that's my winter project also 6-6 woods. Great write up!Just have to find a good dyno man in south east Michigan.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:03 PM
frydaddy96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atrain, Great write-up, I'm still debating between adjustable pushrods and the stock ones. I've had adjustables come loose before even though I had the locknut so tight I was afraid of rounding off the lock nut flats. If you decide you want to sell the bearing remove/install tool I'll buy or rent it from you. Let me know. This write-up definitely got me motivated to get mine done, already got the cams(255).

Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Go out for a little 143 mile ride and what do you get? A great answer to your question.

Thanks!

Palatium, let us know how it goes for you. I am sure with the write-up it will be smoooooth sailing.

Quick Reply: Cam Project Final Write-Up