Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tin removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 AM
Cattivo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tin removal

Road King Custom, just wondering what it takes everyone to remove and re-install? How long should it take a dealership? Getting my bike painted in conjunction with some other things I'm having the dealer do. They're talking 7 hours just for taking them off and re0installing them. Seems like something they should be able to do in about 2. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 AM
jtrisch1026
Novice
Default tins

[QUOTE=Cattivo;6349853]Road King Custom, just wondering what it takes everyone to remove and re-install? How long should it take a dealership? Getting my bike painted in conjunction with some other things I'm having the dealer do. They're talking 7 hours just for taking them off and re0installing them. Seems like something they should be able to do in about 2. Thanks.[/QUT

It should take no longer then 4 hours (Off & On) Get the manual for your bike and do it your self. Cost should be apx $400.00 give or take $50.00

Old 03-05-2010, 09:40 AM
gibby122
Road Captain

Ive never removed all my tins at once on a harley, but 7 hours sounds like way, WAY to freak'n long.....are you sure theyre not including the other stuff your having done. but, like someone has said b4 on here, they have guidlines they have to follow, and set prices for the items in those guidlines. is it possible for you to remove them and take them in?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Cattivo
Cruiser

As far as the tins go, 7 hours quoted just to take them off and put them back on after they are painted. The painter will come get them and bring them back when he's finished. I'm contemplating more and more doing it myself, but since they are doing some other things, and I don't mind giving them some business when it's fair, I thought to let them do it.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Are they disassembling the gas tank for the painter? I ask because there's some work involved in removing and reinstalling the the fuel tank pod assembly from the tank; draining the tank; removing and reinstalling the tank console; etc.

Also, good techs tape off a lot of the tins and other bike parts to prevent scratches; and, two techs are best to reinstall the fenders.

You initially thought 2 hours seemed sufficient, so 7 hours looked grossly excessive. Seven hours may be high but not so much as you might think, especially if the alternative is doing it yourself. I'd asked the service writer to knock off a couple of hours.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Cattivo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Are they disassembling the gas tank for the painter? I ask because there's some work involved in removing and reinstalling the the fuel tank pod assembly from the tank; draining the tank; removing and reinstalling the tank console; etc.

Also, good techs tape off a lot of the tins and other bike parts to prevent scratches; and, two techs are best to reinstall the fenders.

You initially thought 2 hours seemed sufficient, so 7 hours looked grossly excessive. Seven hours may be high but not so much as you might think, especially if the alternative is doing it yourself. I'd asked the service writer to knock off a couple of hours.
Thanks for that perspective. The plan is to talk to them today about those couple of hours.