Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about Jet Hot coating? Think twice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MushOKC
butcher I work for JET-HOT in OKC, sorry to hear about your pipes I can tell you that we do not offer a gloss black as it is hard to get done right.
we do offer a semi-gloss black and if you want us to rework the pipes here in OKC Iwhould be more than happy to help you out. Just so you know up front I do not want to put a time frame on doing it because as a rider I would rather it be right than fast. if no one has contacted you so far you are welcome to contact me and we can go from there. as far as the discoloring at the head we can not control the EGTs of your bike.

Marshal(Mush)Tullos
405-789-2888
mtullos@ncoat.com

Hey there Marshal,
You'll pardon me as I respond frankly. You were not directly involved with my experience, but..... Did you actually read my post? I KNOW you don't offer gloss, AFTER the fact. Ya see, I inquired about gloss, confirmed I was getting gloss, and was informed at the last minute when a couple pieces were being re-done that "you don't do gloss". Had somebody been upfront with me, I wouldn't have gone with the satin. More on the black in a moment. I need to jump straight to your "as far as the discoloring at the head we can not control the EGTs of your bike". For those not familiar with "EGT", it's "exhaust gas temp.'s". I agree, you cannot control my EGT's. However, this is the important part, you, (not you personally) Jet Hot claim your Sterling ceramic coating is good for 1300 degrees. Really?? You know nothing about my experience, yet you appear to be spouting a company line about EGT's. I was so pissed about the failure of Jet Hot's product that I went and purchased an infrared temp gun good to 1400 degrees just to prove the EGT assertion was BS. I took it with me on a poker run. We're talking slow speeds, middle of the day, ridiculous traffic, multiple stops, on a hot summer day. Guess what? The highest, let me emphasize that, the HIGHEST temp I was able to measure was in the low 500's (512 to about 520 degrees). Measured at the absolute hottest points all the way to the muffler tips. Flange to tip you might say. The temps I recorded were LESS than HALF of Jet Hot's claimed 1300 degree tolerance. Are you sure you want to bring up EGT's? Sounds like you're seeding an excuse for a known inevitable failure. And let's be clear about the discoloring, it's not just at the head area, it's all the way down the header. While I'm at it, if my exhaust actually could exceed 1300 degrees, my pant legs would quite literally catch fire. So tell me, how does a 1300 degree product fail at temps below 600 degrees? Easy, it's just not good anywhere near those temps. Maybe in lab tests, not this real world.
If you were a senior member I'd likely be far less suspect of your intent. But if you read and understood my original post, I'd find it hard to believe your inquiry would be constructed in quite the same way. I noticed you're new here. Welcome, if you're genuine. If not, I don't want any of the good people here to spend that large of a chunk of cash on something they will certainly regret.
FYI for fellow members; this stuff is VERY expensive. The coatings will run you about as much as your exhaust system cost you. Yeah, quite a bit over $500. The Jet Hot satin black? Scratches, scrapes, and chips at the slightest provocation. So much for Jet Hot's ceramic durability.

Thanks for the offer. But the run around I got from Jet Hot? I wouldn't send a crack pipe to have it coated. Wait, I have to throw this one in. Jet Hot's offer to me was? They'll strip the crap off for free and "only" charge me HALF the regular price to re-coat the system. Wowwee, then I'd only be out close to a grand for something that doesn't work. I have a better idea Jet Hot, you pay me to yank the system off, you pay all the shipping to & fro, you re-do it all for free (and do it right this time), pay for gaskets & clamps, and if it works the second go 'round, I'll reverse my opinion and let everybody know it.

End rant!

(Marshal, you might be a good dude, but the product simply isn't worthy)

The following users liked this post:
lespaul6 (01-28-2024)
Old 01-04-2011, 04:50 PM
MushOKC
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I under stand your unhappy to say the least. I will cover the freight and the cost of the coating. Iam working on the R&R part. I want to at least get a shot to make it right. Can you e-mail me pics? I understand your measured skin temps but that is not EGT's but never mind that. Are you willing to let me try to help you out?

Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MushOKC
I under stand your unhappy to say the least. I will cover the freight and the cost of the coating. Iam working on the R&R part. I want to at least get a shot to make it right. Can you e-mail me pics? I understand your measured skin temps but that is not EGT's but never mind that. Are you willing to let me try to help you out?
Holy crap!

This dude is really trying hard to fix the other locations problem.
How can you pass on an offer like that? Consider the main objective here!

Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Pretty kewl of him to be willing to help make a situation right when a business in another state F_ked up. If it was my dime that was being spent on this, I would be irate also. So I am taking both sides, lol.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My pipes would be wrapped and prepped for shipping by now. Bwaha!

Money for R & R? I wouldn't even consider asking for it after that kind of "begging" to make it right.

If I were in MushOKC's shoes, I wouldn't have even made that second post, after seeing the OP's response to his first post. Yet he still came back and begged to make it right. Shipping both ways even.

No way I'd be anything but impressed with that. You can bet I will add that "source" for ceramic coating to my files for future use. (The OKC location, of course).

Old 01-04-2011, 07:06 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Sounds pretty stand up. I'd give them another chance.

lp

Old 01-04-2011, 07:18 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

If you want some of the best powdercoating and ceramic coating in the business, contact Embee Performance in SoCal. I'm not related or anything, but I have seen the quality of their work.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 145 Posts

When I had mine done on a previous exhaust, I used Cradin, down in Texas. They do a lot of work on funny cars and racing, and do outstanding work. Check them out.

TedMan

Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 PM
roadglide65
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've dealt with mush on two of my pipes and felt he was a stand up guy at the time.... He will now go down as one of the most stand up guy's and company I have dealt with. Mush mine has held up beyond my expectation.

This one was done in 05

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...l/PICT0007.jpg

This one was done in 06

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Picture003.jpg

The bike has 60m on it and still looks like new.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:19 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats da verdict?

Quick Reply: Thinking about Jet Hot coating? Think twice.