Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Tire Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM
blackrever
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from dealer for my 10kmi service and to my suprise left with a new 408f front tire.Really wasnt sure if i had enough tread left on it to have a new one put on at no charge.Ithought they would have dinged me 50% for a new tire and labor.Boy was i happy when i left.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:47 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by jasnusc
Im going through the same thing right now and started another thread about it. Im going for my 10k service and my rear tire is cupping badly! Much worse than the front was when they put on the 408.

Dealer says they dont cover cupping even if it is caused by an alignment issue which they would be responsible for since they have done every service on it up until now.

They also mentioned the low air pressure and I told them I check it before every ride, which I do, and its always at 40psi in the rear.

Dealer said the rear tire should only last 10k miles so I need a new one anyway? I thought they lasted longer than that!.
HD didn't have a recall on the rear tire, but if the front D407 had a problem, why wouldn't the rear...same rubber, right?

My rear at 10K was a MESS, tire pressure was always at or above 40 psi. I'm done with HD Dunlop tires, Metzler 880's all the way.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:00 AM
cballweg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't think anyone received a letter on this. Suggest you read the bulletin carefully, take the bike out and see if you can identifiy cupping, vibration, or any handling problems. If so, take it to your friendly dealer and ask them to replace the tire. If they point out that this is NOT a warranty issue and NOT a recall, let them know that you feel the tire in question poses a safety issue and you expect them to replace it. Good luck..

Old 09-29-2010, 08:16 AM
shredsurf
Road Master

Originally Posted by cballweg
Don't think anyone received a letter on this. Suggest you read the bulletin carefully, take the bike out and see if you can identifiy cupping, vibration, or any handling problems. If so, take it to your friendly dealer and ask them to replace the tire. If they point out that this is NOT a warranty issue and NOT a recall, let them know that you feel the tire in question poses a safety issue and you expect them to replace it. Good luck..
Been there done that...front replaced, no problems...rear, not so much.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cballweg
For something that's not a warranty issue, they sure are replacing a lot of them under warranty!! Of course, convincing their particular dealer of that may be a problem. My dealer replaced my front tire for "noise and vibration issues," not for cupping. It worked for me either way!

The service writer was pretty cool about it. I mentioned the tire cupping and he went out to look at it. It was obviously cupped but he looked up at me while squatted down looking at it and asked, "are you getting any vibration from the front of the bike?" all will shaking his head in an up and down motion. I said, "now that you mention it, yeah, it is vibrating pretty good." He said, "no problem, we can take care of that!" Twenty minutes later, I had a new front tire. The replaced tire had just over 14k miles on it.

You just gotta find the right dealer! I think I'm pretty lucky with mine. Goe Harley in Angleton, Tx.

Good luck & Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:56 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't have an issue with my 08 tires, got 15,000 out of them and switched to AVON Venoms. Been happy ever since. They last a lot longer than most people think if you keep a regular check on tire presure. Got 8,000 on mine and still have 6/32 on both tires, plus they ride smooth and corner like a *****.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 AM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just got off the phone with the moco and told them about the REAR tire on my 09 cupping. They said they are aware of the problem and they is nothing to worry about. No danger involved. It is the nature of the dual compound tire. They said they are aware of the howling noise while cornering but nothing to be worried about.
Gary D.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Sweetbaboo
Road Master

Originally Posted by g money
Just got off the phone with the moco and told them about the REAR tire on my 09 cupping. They said they are aware of the problem and they is nothing to worry about. No danger involved. It is the nature of the dual compound tire. They said they are aware of the howling noise while cornering but nothing to be worried about.
Gary D.

Call them back and use the magic words: vibration, unstable, and unsafe. Those words got me a free front tire, especially the word vibration. Good luck.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweetbaboo
Call them back and use the magic words: vibration, unstable, and unsafe. Those words got me a free front tire, especially the word vibration. Good luck.
Those words got me a free front also. The rear tire is where the issue is now. They said "nothing to worry about"
Gary D.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 PM
HDBRATT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

We shall see

Quick Reply: Touring Tire Issues